Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com> on 2010/11/23 09:17:52 UTC

rental products (not rooms)

Let's say I have purchased 5 copies of a book, for a library.  This
library will then load the books out.  There may be cost involved(or
just a promise to return).  There is also an estimated return date.

I have been able to figure out how to configure the Product,
FixedAsset(with productionCapacity set), and FixedAssetProduct.  I can
create the order, which goes into APPROVED state.

However, I can't get the order to pack.  The pick sheet pdf says that
a stock move is needed.

This kind of rental is not attempting to reserve a room, which is the
only example I can see in ofbiz.

I have tried this on demo-trunk.ofbiz.org.  I have even checked out an
old copy of ofbiz(circa 2006), and tried there, to no avail.

The full workflow is a purchase of a product, then allow that product
to be rented out.  Inventory would need to be reduced, and a shipment
would need to be created.  Is this even possible?

Re: rental products (not rooms)

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
On 11/24/2010 09:22 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2010, at 9:17 AM, Adam Heath wrote:
>
>> Let's say I have purchased 5 copies of a book, for a library.  This
>> library will then load the books out.  There may be cost involved(or
>> just a promise to return).  There is also an estimated return date.
>>
>> I have been able to figure out how to configure the Product,
>> FixedAsset(with productionCapacity set), and FixedAssetProduct.  I can
>> create the order, which goes into APPROVED state.
>>
>> However, I can't get the order to pack.  The pick sheet pdf says that
>> a stock move is needed.
>
> This may simply means that the inventory item that has been reserved for the order is in a "bulk" location, and the system is asking you to perform a stock move from the bulk to a pick location; you may avoid this message if you receive the purchased goods directly into a pick location.

Hmm, right, that gives me something to look in to.

However, I'm using serialized inventory.  Every single item has it's
own identifier, to make it simple to track back a damaged rental to
the original purchase.

Re: rental products (not rooms)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Nov 23, 2010, at 9:17 AM, Adam Heath wrote:

> Let's say I have purchased 5 copies of a book, for a library.  This
> library will then load the books out.  There may be cost involved(or
> just a promise to return).  There is also an estimated return date.
>
> I have been able to figure out how to configure the Product,
> FixedAsset(with productionCapacity set), and FixedAssetProduct.  I can
> create the order, which goes into APPROVED state.
>
> However, I can't get the order to pack.  The pick sheet pdf says that
> a stock move is needed.

This may simply means that the inventory item that has been reserved for the order is in a "bulk" location, and the system is asking you to perform a stock move from the bulk to a pick location; you may avoid this message if you receive the purchased goods directly into a pick location.

Kind regards,

Jacopo