Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/10 15:18:16 UTC

[DISCUSS] JDO usage end-of-life?

Hi,
Sorry to cross post to both forums, but I wanted to ensure that I hit
everybody that might have an opinion on this JDO topic...

Is the JDO personality of OpenJPA still being utilized?  Marc's recent post
about possibly pulling in javax.jdo.* packages during the enhancement
processing [1] reminded me that we still have old remnants of JDO (and Kodo)
in the OpenJPA code base.  OpenJPA has never claimed support for JDO (nor
Kodo).  Way back when, BEA provided a JDO implementation as part of their
offering that sat on top of OpenJPA.  As far as I know, BEA (and Oracle)
only support the 1.1.x service stream of OpenJPA.  So, if we did this in the
2.x stream, there should be no effects to that set of users.

Would there be a concern with the current users of OpenJPA to clean up the
code base and remove these JDO/Kodo references?  From a JPA/OpenJPA
perspective, you should see no differences in functionality.

Like I said, Marc's posting prompted me to revisit this topic.  I'm just
exploring the option with no immediate plans of actually doing the work...

Thanks,
Kevin

[1]
http://openjpa.208410.n2.nabble.com/weird-JDO-Exception-when-using-OpenJPA-2-Enhancer-tc6870122.html

Re: [DISCUSS] JDO usage end-of-life?

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pinaki,
I haven't spent a great deal of time looking into this.  But, you are
probably right -- the JDO footprint is probably very small.  I was just
fishing to see how much interest there was in JDO -- just in case we would
find some area of the code that is JDO-centric and it's either confusing,
incorrect, or affecting performance.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.
Hi Kevin,

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pinaki,
I can see validity in all of your stated reasons.  But, the OpenJPA project
is for providing a JPA implementation, not a JDO implementation.  If
somebody wants to spin off and support their own "OpenJDO" implementation
that is based on OpenJPA or its kernel, then all the more power to them.  I
am just questioning why we should continue to work around or with JDO
idiosyncrasies with our JPA implementation.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org> wrote:

> d) The reported error that prompted this discussion is not a critical
> failure. Possibly could be fixed with moderate effort. It does not seem to
> indicate that we should throw JDO under the bus.

That reported error just jogged my memory.  That error has nothing directly
to do with my proposal to jettison JDO.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi strub,

On Oct 11, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> There is a JDO-3.0 spec out there since almost a year now. I'm not
> sure if we can/like to catch up.

There have been non-trivial but minor changes since JDO 2.0. IMHO
"Catching up" would be a small task compared to re-activating the JDO
support in OpenJPA.

> Isn't there a pure JDO impl at db.apache.org which is up2date anyway?

No, the reference implementation for JDO is/has been DataNucleus. JDO
1.0 had a reference implementation that didn't support relational
databases, just a "toy" key/value store.

Best,

Craig

> LieGrue,
> strub