Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Bill Whillers <mo...@whohasit.com> on 2005/05/13 01:06:31 UTC

Server Load Profile

Hi,

I'd really appreciate any ideas or "best practices" you might have before
re-inventing with Yet Another Benchmarker/Profiler...

We are expecting an unusually high amount of traffic over the next month on
one of our Apache/MySQL machines and I'd like to profile this in a simple,
"bootstap" way (i.e.  process logger running every 2 minutes) capturing only
critical info on the server (CPU, IO, Apache, MySQL processes, etc.).

I'm hoping that this log process will be very light-weight.

Bill

Re: Server Load Profile

Posted by Tom Schindl <to...@gmx.at>.

Re: Server Load Profile

Posted by raja agireddy <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

I have installed
httpd-2.0.53 ---> Apache
mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4 ---> modperl
Authen-Smb-0.91
Apache-AuthenSmb-0.72
Apache-AuthenCache-1.00

I am getting the following error.
[Thu May 12 17:12:36 2005] [error] [client 135.43.15.119] Usage:
Apache::RequestRec::notes(obj, val=NULL) at
/raj/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.6/Apache/AuthenCache.pm line 302.\n

I am trying to configure the Apache-AuthenCache module.

Raja

Re: Server Load Profile

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Bill Whillers wrote:
> Thanks for your excellent resource.
>
> As a stop-gap (for now) the following script is cron'd every minute on the
> server to log basic load profile and to email `top` snapshot if things get
> out of hand.
>
> -----monitor-----------
>
> uptime>>/jobs/monitor.log;
> temp=$(cat /proc/loadavg);
> if [ $(echo -e "scale=0 \n ${temp%% *}/0.01 \nquit \n" | bc) -gt 100 ]
> then
>   file="/jobs/monitor.peak_`date '+%m-%d-%y-%H:%M:%S'`";
>   `top -b -n 1 > ${file}`;
>    mail root -s "Load Warning: ${temp}" < ${file};
> fi

> Better ideas are always appreciated.

Bill, please read the information at the URL that I've sent before:
http://modperlbook.org/html/part2.html
In particular:
http://modperlbook.org/html/ch14_01.html

Re: Server Load Profile