Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by David Cavazos via dev <de...@beam.apache.org> on 2022/10/27 19:20:05 UTC

Beam starter projects dependency updates

Hi everyone!

We want to make sure the Beam starter projects always come with the latest
(compatible) versions for every dependency. I enabled Dependabot on all of
them to automate this as much as possible, and we have automated tests to
make sure everything works as expected.

However, we still need someone to merge Dependabot's PRs. The good news is
that since the starter projects are so simple, if tests pass they're most
likely safe to merge, and tests only take a couple minutes to run.

We could either batch update all dependencies as part of the release
process, or have people check them periodically (like an owner per
language).

These are all the repos we have to keep an eye to:

   - https://github.com/apache/beam-starter-java -- 9 updates, all tests
   passing
   - https://github.com/apache/beam-starter-python -- 2 updates, all tests
   passing
   - https://github.com/apache/beam-starter-go -- 0 updates
   - https://github.com/apache/beam-starter-kotlin -- 3 updates, all tests
   passing
   - https://github.com/apache/beam-starter-scala -- not done yet, but keep
   an eye

Re: Beam starter projects dependency updates

Posted by Brian Hulette via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.
These have all been addressed. I went through and merged all of them,
except for the slf4j-jdk14 dependency in Java and Kotlin. After consulting
with Luke [1] I told dependabot to ignore this dependency.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/beam-starter-java/pull/26#issuecomment-130263Java9941
<https://github.com/apache/beam-starter-java/pull/26#issuecomment-1302639941>

Posted by David Cavazos via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.