Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by hanan herzog <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/03 20:02:20 UTC

context.xml Parameter values not updating without Tomcat restart

Hello,
    I am using context.xml to configure my web application. But when I
change values in the context.xml, the application does not see the changes,
unless I restart tomcat:

Setup:
Tomcat 6.0.18 (from distribution tarball, unmodified, except as explained
below)
Linux (Fedora 9)  2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-rc-b28)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode)

I have a  http://www.nabble.com/file/p19294618/context.xml context.xml  in
~/local/tomcat/conf

With my browser, I go to http://localhost:8080/c to execute
http://www.nabble.com/file/p19294618/index.jsp index.jsp  which is in
directory in ~/local/tomcat/webapps/c

The result is as expected, "valueONE".

But when I change the value="valueTWO" in the context.xml and re-run
index.jsp, the OLD value remains.
The application context is reloaded in some sense, but the new values of
context.xml are not available.

I thought the main reason to use context.xml is precisely so that
configuration changes can be made without having to restart the who tomcat
instance.

Am I doing something wrong?

Hanan

Re: context.xml Parameter values not updating without Tomcat restart

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
hanan herzog wrote:

> Am I doing something wrong?

For a start, you are posting to the dev list. You want the users list for
this sort of question.

Mark

Re: context.xml Parameter values not updating without Tomcat restart

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@last.za.net>.
I'm not exactly sure about context.xml, but I know it's not viable to
auto-update server.xml on a running server.

What type of changes are you making in context.xml?

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:02 PM, hanan herzog <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>    I am using context.xml to configure my web application. But when I
> change values in the context.xml, the application does not see the changes,
> unless I restart tomcat:
>
> Setup:
> Tomcat 6.0.18 (from distribution tarball, unmodified, except as explained
> below)
> Linux (Fedora 9)  2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686
> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-rc-b28)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode)
>

> I have a  http://www.nabble.com/file/p19294618/context.xml context.xml  in
> ~/local/tomcat/conf
>
> With my browser, I go to http://localhost:8080/c to execute
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p19294618/index.jsp index.jsp  which is in
> directory in ~/local/tomcat/webapps/c
>
> The result is as expected, "valueONE".
>
> But when I change the value="valueTWO" in the context.xml and re-run
> index.jsp, the OLD value remains.
> The application context is reloaded in some sense, but the new values of
> context.xml are not available.
>
> I thought the main reason to use context.xml is precisely so that
> configuration changes can be made without having to restart the who tomcat
> instance.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Hanan

Quintin Beukes