Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/16 11:51:42 UTC

[VOTE] Release Commons IO 1.4 based on RC2

There have been a few changes since RC1, but since they were all IMO
minor, I've cut a RC2 and thought would proceed straight to a vote.

The changes since RC1 are:

  - changes to build.xml to keep gump happy
  - fix an error in the
  - upgrade to version 7 and commons-parent (and remove stuff from pom
thats now in the parent)

The artifacts are here:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/io-1.4-RC2/

SVN Tag:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/io/tags/commons-io-1.4-RC2/

Site:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/io-1.4-RC2/site/
(note m2 generates relative links, so some don't work - but the site
is for info and not included in the release artifacts)

Release Notes:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/io-1.4-RC2/site/upgradeto1_4.html
(These are a copy of RELEASE-NOTES.txt in html form)

RAT Report:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/io-1.4-RC2/site/rat-report.html

CLIRR Report:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/io-1.4-RC2/site/clirr-report.html

RC2 has been built with m2 - but m1 and ant builds are available - details here:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/io-1.4-RC2/site/building.html

Vote is open for 72 hours

Thanks in advance for your feedback/votes.

Niall

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons IO 1.4 based on RC2

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 16, 2008 3:38 PM, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Only Ant can specify the actual target JDK used to compile the code in the
> Manifest. Maven has an open issue for this in the jar plugin. Alot of people
> want to write the target JDK to the manifest, but unfortunately the actual
> JDK version (e.g., 1.6) appears.

We specify the source and target JDK version using a property to the
compiler plugin - we then write those same properties a custom
manifest entries named "X-Compile-Target" and "X-Compile-Source" so
that people can see in the mnifest what the settings were compiled
with. The properties are specified in the component pom (or default to
1.3 if not specified) and configuring the compiler plugin and writing
the manifest entries is done in commons-parent:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-parent/tags/commons-parent-6/pom.xml

Niall

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 16, 2008 9:16 PM, Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> [...]

OK I've applied your patch and removed the JDK 1.4 dependant tests
from the package tests suites:

This vote is cancelled, I'll cut another RC shortly.

Niall

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 16, 2008 6:04 PM, Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:

for 1.3 to satisfy themselves about this release. But IMO these points

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Found what appear to be some build problems:

"ant dist" creates a Manifest entry of:

whereas the (M2) distribution has:

This is probably due to

 project.properties: maven.compile.target = 1.1

which affects M1 builds as well.

==

[...]

Also, the Maven2 build failed with:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
I found no problems with the artifacts. All build variants worked for me
on JDK 1.6. The only thing I noticed is that the md5 files do not follow
the default format used for most commons components (they do not contain
the flags and the file name).

The argument with the JDK 1.3 compatibility that cannot be tested sounds
valid for me. I would also prefer having an updated build.xml that can
run the tests on a 1.3 JVM.

Oliver