Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Tim Pushor <ti...@crossthread.com> on 2001/09/10 08:14:18 UTC

Weird IE SSL problem

Hi,

First of all, I am almost positive that this isn't an Apache-ASP problem,
but on the off chance that it is - or that someone else has seen this before
..

I am running Apache 1.3.20 + mod_ssl 2.8.4-1.3.20 + mod_perl-1.25 +
Apache-ASP-2.17

I am very new to apache asp

My pages are all being served viu ssl - i.e. require https://

My first page is a form that POST's to a second page. It is pretty standard
stuff:

<form name="info" method="POST"
action="https://site.name.com/secondpage.html"
onSubmit="validateroutine();">
.. standard form elements
<input type="submit" value="Proceed to Terms" name="Proceed_to_terms">
</form>

Now, when I shut down all instances of IE and bring up the first page, fill
out the form, and click the button, I get a warning that I am about to leave
the secure area (which I am not). Click OK, and I get the 'cant find host or
dns error'. In the address box of IE, I see the correct URL of the page that
I am trying to POST to. If I click Refresh and repost my form data - it
works. Then it seems to work properly after that as long as I have IE
running.

Netscape has yet to behave similarily.

I am running all .html files through apache-asp, and am using sessions.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim

Re: Weird IE SSL problem

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Tim Pushor wrote:

> My first page is a form that POST's to a second page. It is pretty standard
> stuff:
>
> <form name="info" method="POST"
> action="https://site.name.com/secondpage.html"
> onSubmit="validateroutine();">
> .. standard form elements
> <input type="submit" value="Proceed to Terms" name="Proceed_to_terms">
> </form>
>
> Now, when I shut down all instances of IE and bring up the first page, fill
> out the form, and click the button, I get a warning that I am about to leave
> the secure area (which I am not). Click OK, and I get the 'cant find host or
> dns error'. In the address box of IE, I see the correct URL of the page that

The way this error sounds I would suspect the javascript doing
something funny, telling IE to go to the wrong place.

> I am trying to POST to. If I click Refresh and repost my form data - it
> works. Then it seems to work properly after that as long as I have IE
> running.

But, after you say this, I might think that IE is having a hard
time with the SSL generally & Apache on that first time.
I would check the modssl.org site for tips about configuring
your SSL specifically to work around IE bugs, of which there
are many.

I'd check both the JS & SSL if I were in your position, probably
in that order.

> Netscape has yet to behave similarily.

Right.  NS rarely does :)

--Josh

Followup: Weird IE SSL problem

Posted by Tim Pushor <ti...@crossthread.com>.
Just to follow up, it seems that this has fixed the problem.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Tim

Posted by Carl Lipo <ca...@internap.com>.
Try adding: