Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by "hanasaki@gmail.com" <ha...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/29 00:23:42 UTC

Netbeans future platform and IDE packaging and design - brainstorming

May I also suggest the following pattern for future release consideration?

Maven'like / semver.org : using X.Y.Z

* The netbeans "product" would be X.Y  with any value for Z being 100%
compatible with X.Y

* Thus an executable netbeans jar of netbeans-x.y.z.jar and maybe
netbeans-x.y.jar  which wraps and executes the newest x.y.z.jar
available (maybe downloading it from the netbeans site for auto-upgrade

* the executable JAR would be the slim netbeans application framework
with the following unremovable plugins:
	- plugin manager
	- plugin for 'distributions' like
		: ee
		: base
		: php
		: the different setups as the old netbeans.org
		* Each distribution specifies a set of plugins
	- each plugin has an x.y.z

If needed, netbeans...jar and each plugin...jar may be basically a BOM
(bill of materials) that contains required JAR files (think of a FAT
JAR, shade, or SpringBoot executable JAR)

Thank you, Frederick Bloom
	hanasaki

Re: Netbeans future platform and IDE packaging and design - brainstorming

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
My 2 Kč:

Versioning of individual JAR files produced by NetBeans is already semantic
versioning friendly. However such versioning is completely independent from
the version of the final IDE.

Version of the whole NetBeans IDE has always been a "marketing number", not
a technical one. E.g. no rules apply, changes are made chaotically just to
impress, not to mean something. Certainly they aren't predictable - a
necessary attribute of semantic versioning.

-jt

út 29. 1. 2019 v 1:23 odesílatel hanasaki@gmail.com <ha...@gmail.com>