Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Prakul Agarwal <pr...@uci.edu> on 2016/09/09 18:00:00 UTC

Method level parallelization not completing consistently

Hi,

Using Maven 3.3.9, maven-eclipse-plugin 2.9, failsafe 2.19.1, surefire
2.19.1.

I'm using FailSafe parallel = method and threadCount ={5,10,50,100} to
execute a bunch of test classes with forkCount = {2,3,4,5}. The
integration-test phase is completing sometimes and getting stuck for long
the other times. When it is getting stuck it is taking > 20 min than normal
execution to complete.

In case when tests are getting stuck I notice that the log files
(failsafe-reports folder) of individual test classes are generated each
time consistently but the summary file generation does't happens for long.
Also one surefire-booter jvm lingers on while others are killed.

When I execute in with forkCount = 1 the test execution probably doesnt
start at all (Failsafe-reports folder is not generated, surefire tmp files
are ). If I reduce the number of test classes to be executed (with
forkCount = 1) then the execution is completing normally. We have ~100 test
classes with ~1000 test methods to be executed.

I'm using reuseForks = true and have tried execution after removing all
fork related settings.

Can anyone suggest why this extension is not executing consistently.

Thanks ,

Other configuration:

OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.11.6", Intel 2.8 GHz i7, 16GB DDR3 RAM.

JDK 1.7.0_8

--
Prakul Agarwal

M.S. Computer Science | University of California, Irvine, Dec '16

Ph: (949)372-8510
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/prakulagarwal

Re: Method level parallelization not completing consistently

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

you know that failsafe is intended for integration tests which are
usually not parallelizable...

Apart from that maven-eclipse-plugin is retired and shouldn't be part of
your build any more...

Furthermore without an exmple which shows the behaviour it's hard to
guess what might be wrong...Do you have full log output...

Which tests running long ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.