Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/12/06 01:30:05 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Delete snapshots section from download page

http://www.openoffice.org/download/

This has a section that promotes the download of pre-release binaries
to the general public.  This is against ASF Release Policy, where it
says:

"During the process of developing software and preparing a release,
various packages are made available to the developer community for
testing purposes. Do not include any links on the project website that
might encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds,
snapshots, release candidates, or any other similar package. The only
people who are supposed to know about such packages are the people
following the dev list (or searching its archives) and thus aware of
the conditions placed on the package. If you find that the general
public are downloading such test packages, then remove them."

http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

We're in flagrant violation of this policy.   The page in question,
http://www.openoffice.org/download/, is the single post popular page
on the website, more popular than the home page.  It gets over 3
million visits per month.

Unless anyone can come up with contrary policy interpretation, for
example, from legal-discuss or the ASF Board, I'll go ahead and remove
that section from the webpage in one week.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: [PROPOSAL] Delete snapshots section from download page

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12/06/2012 04:00 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Dave Fisher<da...@comcast.net>  wrote:
>> Rob,
>>
>> Thanks for clearly singling out this critical issue from the other issues regarding developer snapshots.
>>
>> On Dec 5, 2012, at 4:30 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/
>>>
>>> This has a section that promotes the download of pre-release binaries
>>> to the general public.  This is against ASF Release Policy, where it
>>> says:
>>>
>>> "During the process of developing software and preparing a release,
>>> various packages are made available to the developer community for
>>> testing purposes. Do not include any links on the project website that
>>> might encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds,
>>> snapshots, release candidates, or any other similar package. The only
>>> people who are supposed to know about such packages are the people
>>> following the dev list (or searching its archives) and thus aware of
>>> the conditions placed on the package. If you find that the general
>>> public are downloading such test packages, then remove them."
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
>>>
>>> We're in flagrant violation of this policy.   The page in question,
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/, is the single post popular page
>>> on the website, more popular than the home page.  It gets over 3
>>> million visits per month.
>>>
>>> Unless anyone can come up with contrary policy interpretation, for
>>> example, from legal-discuss or the ASF Board, I'll go ahead and remove
>>> that section from the webpage in one week.
>>
>> I did not notice that these links had been rewritten and reenabled. I purposefully hid these during the OOo migration and 3.4 release process.
>>
>> I completely agree that the links need to be removed ASAP. Has Infrastructure reenabled publish with the svn move? If so, I see no reason to wait a whole week.
>>

> I'm hoping this doesn't need to be discussed for a week.  But I'm on
> vacation this week, and the CMS is still not updated to reflect the
> SVN move, so in practice it might take a week for this change to be
> made.

No problem, no need to wait for you. As soon as publishing is working
again I can delete the respective stuff for the webpages.

If linking is clearly against the ASF policy then it will be deleted.
And that's it.

Marcus

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Dec 6, 2012, at 12:31 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 12/06/2012 02:03 AM, schrieb Dave Fisher:
>> Rob,
>>
>> Thanks for clearly singling out this critical issue from the other issues regarding developer snapshots.
>>
>> On Dec 5, 2012, at 4:30 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/
>>>
>>> This has a section that promotes the download of pre-release binaries
>>> to the general public.  This is against ASF Release Policy, where it
>>> says:
>>>
>>> "During the process of developing software and preparing a release,
>>> various packages are made available to the developer community for
>>> testing purposes. Do not include any links on the project website that
>>> might encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds,
>>> snapshots, release candidates, or any other similar package. The only
>>> people who are supposed to know about such packages are the people
>>> following the dev list (or searching its archives) and thus aware of
>>> the conditions placed on the package. If you find that the general
>>> public are downloading such test packages, then remove them."
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
>>>
>>> We're in flagrant violation of this policy.   The page in question,
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/, is the single post popular page
>>> on the website, more popular than the home page.  It gets over 3
>>> million visits per month.
>>>
>>> Unless anyone can come up with contrary policy interpretation, for
>>> example, from legal-discuss or the ASF Board, I'll go ahead and remove
>>> that section from the webpage in one week.
>>
>> I did not notice that these links had been rewritten and reenabled. I purposefully hid these during the OOo migration and 3.4 release process.
>
> I'm sure I've told here that the links could be enabled to point more people to these dev builds. But cannot find this for the moment in the archives.

You may very well have done so, I have a vague recollection. I may have seen the dot, but I did not connect it to the other dot. Kudos to Rob for noticing and making the point in a thread of its own.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 12/06/2012 02:03 AM, schrieb Dave Fisher:
>
>> Rob,
>>
>> Thanks for clearly singling out this critical issue from the other issues
>> regarding developer snapshots.
>>
>> On Dec 5, 2012, at 4:30 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/
>>>
>>> This has a section that promotes the download of pre-release binaries
>>> to the general public.  This is against ASF Release Policy, where it
>>> says:
>>>
>>> "During the process of developing software and preparing a release,
>>> various packages are made available to the developer community for
>>> testing purposes. Do not include any links on the project website that
>>> might encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds,
>>> snapshots, release candidates, or any other similar package. The only
>>> people who are supposed to know about such packages are the people
>>> following the dev list (or searching its archives) and thus aware of
>>> the conditions placed on the package. If you find that the general
>>> public are downloading such test packages, then remove them."
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
>>>
>>> We're in flagrant violation of this policy.   The page in question,
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/, is the single post popular page
>>> on the website, more popular than the home page.  It gets over 3
>>> million visits per month.
>>>
>>> Unless anyone can come up with contrary policy interpretation, for
>>> example, from legal-discuss or the ASF Board, I'll go ahead and remove
>>> that section from the webpage in one week.
>>

>> I did not notice that these links had been rewritten and reenabled. I
>> purposefully hid these during the OOo migration and 3.4 release process.
>

> I'm sure I've told here that the links could be enabled to point more people
> to these dev builds. But cannot find this for the moment in the archives.
>
> Marcus

yes, I remember this as well and it wasn't too long ago -- maybe late
Oct, early Nov. But, we forgot to read the fine print on Apache policy
in this regard. :/

>> I completely agree that the links need to be removed ASAP. Has
>> Infrastructure reenabled publish with the svn move? If so, I see no reason
>> to wait a whole week.
>>
>> Also, please adjust http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html as well.
>>
>> As project developers we will need to inform people on an as needed basis
>> about the CWiki page only during ML conversations on dev, qa and L10N
>> mailing lists.
>>
>> Thanks&  Regards,
>> Dave

MzK

“How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world
 she wants, rather than to create it herself?”

     -- Anais Nin

Re: [PROPOSAL] Delete snapshots section from download page

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Rob,