Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Asim Munawar <as...@yahoo.com> on 2007/03/12 13:43:37 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem in using Apache

Dear All
         I am new to apache... I have actually installed apache, php and postgres to run a wiki web page. my web server have two network cards. one is connected to the internet with static IP and the other is connected to the LAN. now the apache homepage is only visible from the LAN while it gives error when you access it from the internet. I turned off all the firewalls but the same problem. Please note that i am able to ssh or telnet to the web server over the internet but the apache page and my wiki gives error on the internet..

       I think that somehow the Ethernet card on LAN is being treated like the default network by apache... how to change these settings... please help

    Asim

---------------------------------
It's here! Your new message!

Re: [users@httpd] Problem in using Apache

Posted by Norbert Wachnicki <nw...@post.pl>.
maybe you should add

Listen LAN_IP_ADRES
in httpd.conf

Posted by matt farey <ma...@gmail.com>.

Krist van Besien wrote:
> On 3/12/07, Asim Munawar <as...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Dear All
>>        I am new to apache... I have actually installed apache, php and
>> postgres to run a wiki web page. my web server have two network
>> cards. one
>> is connected to the internet with static IP and the other is
>> connected to
>> the LAN. now the apache homepage is only visible from the LAN while
>> it gives
>> error when you access it from the internet. I turned off all the
>> firewalls
>> but the same problem. Please note that i am able to ssh or telnet to
>> the web
>> server over the internet but the apache page and my wiki gives error
>> on the
>> internet..
>>
>>      I think that somehow the Ethernet card on LAN is being treated
>> like the
>> default network by apache... how to change these settings... please help
>
> By default Apache will listen to all interfaces. So you might have
> another problem.
>
> First tellm us a bit more about your setup: What OS are your running
> Apache on, what version of apache are you using?
>
> Krist

Yeah if telnet and ssh work, and the homepage is OK on the LAN it sounds
like Apache is answering but because of a (missing A record?) DNS issue
it never hears, and perhaps a hostname rather than FQDN is being used on
the LAN.

matt

Re: [users@httpd] Problem in using Apache

Posted by Asim Munawar <as...@yahoo.com>.
Dear Matt and All
        Actually i just realized that telnet is also not working ... only ssh is working from the internet.... I am really sorry for the wrong information... I have tried everything possible after searching the internet but not able to find any solution.... I dont know why simple telnet is not working over the internet when all the security if turned off... my telnet config file looks like:

[root@ecgrid ~]# cat /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
# default: on
#       unencrypted username/password pairs for authentication.
service telnet
{
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable         = no
}

I CANNOT TELNET FROM THE INTERNET BUT I CAN TELNET THE WEB SERVER FROM THE SAME COMPUTER.... AND THIS IS WHAT I GET ....

[root@ecgrid ~]# telnet 133.xx.xx.xxx 80
Trying 133.xx.xx.xxx...
Connected to ecgrid.xxxx.xxxxx.ac.jp (133.xx.xx.xxx).
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/2.2
Host: ecgrid.xxxx.xxxxx.ac.jp

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 04:47:23 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.4 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.4 OpenSSL/0.9.8b PHP/5.2.1 mod_jk2/2.0.4
Last-Modified: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:16:24 GMT
ETag: "14900bf-2c-3e9564c23b600"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

[root@ecgrid ~]#

ERROR LOG: there is not entry in the error log for an access attempt from the internet....

 I am using the IP address of my web server instead of its FQDN ...

I am trying to solve the problem with the telnet before coming back to apache... in case you have any idea please let me know....

Thanks
Asim

matt farey <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Asim Munawar wrote:
> I am using Fedora Core 6 on Pentium Mobile laptop...
> My Apache version is
>
> [root@ecgrid ~]# apachectl -v
> Server version: Apache/2.2.3
> Server built:   Sep 11 2006 09:43:18
>
> I added the line
> Listen MY_STATIC_INTERNET_IP:80      to http.conf but its giving the
> same problem...
>
>       please suggest something elase....
>
>  thanks
> Asim
You say you have an internet Static IP, does that mean you are running
on a modem with a software firewall and that you really DO have a static
IP, or do you use a firewall router on which you have setup port
forwarding for port 80. That is does your NIC bind to the public IP, or
does it bind to a static LAN IP which you have forwarded port 80 from
outside?

If you can telnet to apache from the internet then apache is answering
on the LAN _and_ internet NICs then you are almost there

If you used the following _from the internet_ and received the homepage
then all is well with the apache setup
telnet your_internet_IP 80
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: yourservers_fully_qualified_domain_name
[enter][enter]

However if when you do this, you get a default page of some kind, maybe
even an error then apache needs setting up to serve that FQDN, perhaps
you need a servername directive in the vhosts section if you are serving
more than one site.

If you get nothing, "host not found", then you need to add a public A
record for that FQDN pointing at your internet IP.

So more details about the error are needed, what does the apache error
log say, what is the error you get when trying from the internet? Have
you set up a public DNS record, or can you add a hosts entry on the
machine you are connecting FROM
YOUR_PUBLIC_IP   fully_qualified_domain_name
so that even without DNS you know that your servername is matched to the
correct IP address for that machine.

Rather than have us suggest an endless stream of options, why not give
us a bit more info?

--
Matthew Farey

---------------------------------
Finding fabulous fares is fun.

Re: [users@httpd] Problem in using Apache

Posted by matt farey <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
Matthew Farey

Re: [users@httpd] Problem in using Apache

Posted by Asim Munawar <as...@yahoo.com>.
I am using Fedora Core 6 on Pentium Mobile laptop...
My Apache version is

[root@ecgrid ~]# apachectl -v
Server version: Apache/2.2.3
Server built:   Sep 11 2006 09:43:18

I added the line
Listen MY_STATIC_INTERNET_IP:80      to http.conf but its giving the same problem...

      please suggest something elase....

 thanks
Asim

Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com> wrote: On 3/12/07, Asim Munawar  wrote:
> Dear All
>        I am new to apache... I have actually installed apache, php and
> postgres to run a wiki web page. my web server have two network cards. one
> is connected to the internet with static IP and the other is connected to
> the LAN. now the apache homepage is only visible from the LAN while it gives
> error when you access it from the internet. I turned off all the firewalls
> but the same problem. Please note that i am able to ssh or telnet to the web
> server over the internet but the apache page and my wiki gives error on the
> internet..
>
>      I think that somehow the Ethernet card on LAN is being treated like the
> default network by apache... how to change these settings... please help

By default Apache will listen to all interfaces. So you might have
another problem.

First tellm us a bit more about your setup: What OS are your running
Apache on, what version of apache are you using?

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland
--
A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Q: What's wrong with top-posting?

---------------------------------
Need Mail bonding?

Re: [users@httpd] Problem in using Apache

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On 3/12/07, Asim Munawar <as...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear All
>        I am new to apache... I have actually installed apache, php and
> postgres to run a wiki web page. my web server have two network cards. one
> is connected to the internet with static IP and the other is connected to
> the LAN. now the apache homepage is only visible from the LAN while it gives
> error when you access it from the internet. I turned off all the firewalls
> but the same problem. Please note that i am able to ssh or telnet to the web
> server over the internet but the apache page and my wiki gives error on the
> internet..
>
>      I think that somehow the Ethernet card on LAN is being treated like the
> default network by apache... how to change these settings... please help

By default Apache will listen to all interfaces. So you might have
another problem.

First tellm us a bit more about your setup: What OS are your running
Apache on, what version of apache are you using?

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland