Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Kevin Krouse <kk...@bea.com> on 2004/12/23 22:52:25 UTC

Getting xmlbeans source using subversion

Hi all,

There was another thread about getting sources from cvs so I'd thought
I'd send out this helpful email (we've been slow updating the website.)
If you're not subscribed to the dev list you may not have heard that
we've moved from cvs to subversion.  The cvs repository is now
read-only.  Subversion is much nicer -- it has atomic commits. ;)

Below are the instructions for getting a copy of the source.  You'll
need Ant to build.

1. Install a subversion client.

   On Windows, there is a good and very nicely integrated with Explorer
client: TortoiseSVN http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ . Don't forget to
reboot. I tried it and it works great, at least until now. (For more
advanced stuff, you can also use the subversion command line client, but
this is not needed if you plan to use only the TortoiseSVN.)  Cygwin
also has a command line client.

2. To get the sources (what used to be in v2 dir):

   svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlbeans/trunk

3. Optional: Get the v1 sources or v1-jdk1.3 port:

   svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlbeans/branches/1.x
   svn checkout
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlbeans/branches/1.x-jdk1.3

You can browse the source online at:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xmlbeans/?root=Apache-SVN

About svn:

 - The commands are very similar to cvs: svn up , svn ci

 - the changes are atomic and they have a number. The revision number is
the state of the entire tree like in perforce, not like cvs where each
file has it's own version number.

 - knows about directories: svn mkdir

 - svn has copy, delete and move (it's just a copy and a delete) - they
maintain history of the changes, and everything is versioned

 - tags and branches are just copies into tags and branches dirs.
Warning: the files in the tags dir should not be modified, this is not
enforced

--k