Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Johnson, Russell D." <RU...@saic.com> on 2004/04/09 17:31:58 UTC

SSPI Authentication + folder Authorization?

Hi,
I'm managing a subversion repository using Apache on a windows machine in a
LAN with a windows domain controller.
The repository is currently working great with SSPI authentication from both
web browsers and SVN clients.

My question: how can I restrict access on folders in the repository while
still using SSPI authentication?

If I use AuthType Basic in the httpd.conf, I am able to restrict access on
the folders, but then I no longer have the advantage of SSPI authentication.
I've tried mixing a svnaccessfile with SSPI, but haven't found a successful
combination of users in domains.

Finally, the FAQs and manuals do not contain a configuration example using
both SSPI authentication & folder authorization.

Am I being stupid and missed something?

Thanks in advance.

Re: SSPI Authentication + folder Authorization?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Oy, let me try to type coherently:

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 12:55, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> mod_authz_svn has no concept of win32 domains or users.  It defines its
> own users within the accessfile, and only pays attentions to
      ^^^^^
      "groups", I mean.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Stefan <st...@tigris.org>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

>>You will need mod_auth_svn, and then configure the usernames in the
>>authz file as DOMAINNAME\username, not just username.
>

> Thanks Stefan... I had no idea about this!  So the SSPI module *does*
> use basic auth headers then?  Very cool!

It _can_ use basic auth headers. But you have to configure it that way.
You need to set the SSPIOfferBasic line in the config file to "On". To
be honest, I haven't been able to make it work without that line anyway,
even if I don't use mod_auth_svn.

Stefan

Re: SSPI Authentication + folder Authorization?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Stefan <st...@tigris.org>.