Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/01 17:10:29 UTC

Hadoop future?

Hi,

I think you have already heard rumours about Microsoft could buy Yahoo. Does
anybody have any idea how this could impact specifically Hadoop future?
I know this is all about speculations now...

Regards,
Lukas

Re: Hadoop future?

Posted by edward yoon <ed...@udanax.org>.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/yahoo-and-future-of-internet.html

--
B. Regards,
Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.

Re: Hadoop future?

Posted by "11 Nov." <no...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hadoop future?

Posted by edward yoon <ed...@udanax.org>.

Re: Hadoop future?

Posted by "Peter W." <pe...@marketingbrokers.com>.
Lukas,

RE: Hadoop future?

Posted by Joydeep Sen Sarma <js...@facebook.com>.
well - all of us know that Dryad is decidedly better - right?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C03EFD81530F930A35754C0A9609C8B63
quotes Bill Gates as saying, "[Google] did MapReduce; we have this thing called Dryad that's better."

at least he didn't claim sql-server was better.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: Hadoop future?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> I think you have already heard rumours about Microsoft could buy
> Yahoo. Does
> anybody have any idea how this could impact specifically Hadoop
> future?
> I know this is all about speculations now...

Having the strong support from Yahoo is great but it's a top level
Apache project now. The community *should* be able to recover from
that scenario ...but isn't that question asked a little too soon?

My 2 cents

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: Hadoop future?

Posted by Miles Osborne <mi...@inf.ed.ac.uk>.
Ah, but you need to understand that Google actually want people using Map
Reduce:  it helps broaden the base of potential engineers with relevant
skills.

I'd be extremely surprised if they released their internal version.  But,
Hadoop is an excellent alternative.  You can even see a little of this with
Google supporting some US Universities using Hadoop:

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/10/google_ibm_give.html

Miles

--
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
with registration number SC005336.

Re: Hadoop future?

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: Hadoop future?