Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bill Rising <br...@mac.com> on 2008/01/16 02:06:51 UTC

[users@httpd] using $1$ md5 in place of $apr1$

Hello people,

I'm going crazy trying to get apache (v2.2.6 built Sep 23 2007---the
built-in apache in Mac OS X 10.5) to recognize MD5 passwords made
using something other than htpasswd -m [1]. The passwords are made
using pwunconv on a redhat linux machine, FWIW.

When I look at the encrypted passwords from the other machine, I see

xxx:$1$sssssss$zzz...
which means that the passwords are encrypted using the non-apache
version of md5, as far as I can tell.

If I make new passwords using htpasswd -m on either machine, they look
like
xxx:$apr1$sssssss$zzz...
which means they are made with the apache variant of md5, I think. My
version of apache has no problem using passwords added to the bottom
of the original file in this fashion.

My web server can read only those containing an $apr1$. It cannot
interpret those with $1$. The web server on the linux machine
supposedly can read the non-apache passwords, however. As far as I
know, it is running version 2.2.1 of apache.

I know nothing about how the apache on the linux machine is configured
or how it was built. I'm just trying to use the same files in my
AuthUserFile directives, since I can that way use the same passwords
as the main server without any mess or fuss.

Can anyone give a clue for what I should do to be able to read the non-
standard encryptions?

Bill