Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adam Brundrett <a....@har.mrc.ac.uk> on 2004/03/23 10:17:48 UTC

Tomcat dies with no error.

We are using Tomcat 4.1.29 on a Solaris 9 x86 web server (dual 3GHz
Zeons) with 2gb RAM.

Twice now Tomcat, which has been happily running under light load (only
a couple of users currently) has simply stopped.  One second it is
working, the next it is not.  No crashes, no error messages, no log
entries beyond the usual "removing application at context path <x>"
which are written to the localhost log when the server is shutting
down.  It's almost as if the shutdown.sh script has been run automatically.

I can't see any reason why this should be happening and with no error
messages or log entries to go on, I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to
start!  A thorough Googling turned up nothing relevant.  The unix server
logs show nothing other than the frantic emailing that occurred around
the time of tomcat's demise.  After the first time Tomcat quit for no
reason, I set up a script to monitor Tomcat and mail me if the process
vanished.

Any ideas?

Adam.