Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2008/10/19 12:37:04 UTC

new tool "clutch" assist oversight of all podlings

I recently found that some new projects get a little
lost at the acceptance phase. Also we have a large
number of projects in Incubation (36) which is becoming
difficult to keep in touch. We need to be able to see
at a glance the status of the set of podlings.

I developed a tool called "clutch". Below are some notes
from its generated web page.

http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html

The coloured summary table is intended to encourage
and nuture.

-------------
Clutch is a tool which gathers details about projects
currently in incubation.

It reads the Wiki page at ReportingSchedule then builds a
list of projects, adds some attributes, does some validation.
Then it reads the source file for the "projects currently
in incubation" table, ensures that each new project has an entry,
adds some more attributes.

The clutch is the set of eggs which have been laid.
The mother hen (our Incubator PMC) needs to continually
gather them, to ensure that none have rolled from the nest
or moved to the outside, being forgotten or becoming cold.
Clutch also means to grasp eagerly.

So please interpret this table from the point-of-view of
encouragement and nurture.

Anything "red" is an issue that should be addressed ASAP.
The "orange" means that they are new and on the monthly
reporting schedule. Otherwise we are looking for healthy
"gold" yolks. Cooling off into the "murk" also needs attention.

Data files are also generated so that other tools can easily
re-use the metadata for the set of projects currently in incubation.

  * clutch.txt - list of project names, one per line.
  * Structured list of various details. Not yet happening
    - need to decide which format (N3, DOAP, etc.) and which
      attributes to be stored.

Any Incubator committer can run 'clutch'. In the top-level of
the "incubator" SVN, do: 'python clutch.py' which will generate
a source xml file in "site-author" directory. Then build and
deploy the site as normal.

-------------

It is my first foray into Python. Please improve my attempt.

That language was chosen as it seems to have all necessary
facilities available without needing additional dependencies.
So all Incubator committers should be able to utilise the tool.

Later i found INCUBATOR-78 which sees some other issues.
Clutch addresses some of them.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-78

-David

Re: new tool "clutch" assist oversight of all podlings

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Clutch is now is now doing most of what i originally
intended.

http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html

I am now away for the weekend. To those at ApacheCon,
enjoy your closing phase.

If OpenWebBeans or Tashi can add themselves to the
i.a.o/projects/ table, then someone could run Clutch
again to pick up those and other changes.

It seems a little slow at the moment while doing the
'svn log' for each project's status file.

-David

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:37 AM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> I recently found that some new projects get a little
> lost at the acceptance phase. Also we have a large
> number of projects in Incubation (36) which is becoming
> difficult to keep in touch. We need to be able to see
> at a glance the status of the set of podlings.
>
> I developed a tool called "clutch". Below are some notes
> from its generated web page.
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html

cool

thanks for kick start this effort :-)

- robert

Re: new tool "clutch" assist oversight of all podlings

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> >
> > Really cool, useful and in one word: wow.
> >
> > Additional features could be
> >  * to scan the svn logs for to see if there's any activity (last week,
> > last month, ever), and by how many different committers
> >  * to scan the dev@ list archives to see if there's any activity (last
> > week, last month, ever)

It now detects whether their mailing lists are started.

Ken Coar's mailing list summaries would be good to tap
into, but they are still awaiting a new home.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1698

> >  * to scan the issue tracker (or issue list) for any action

We need to know which one they use and where it is.

I am considering standardising just that "Bug tracking"
item in the "Project Info" section of each status page.

Not too concerned about the committers lists, as it is
the new committers since acceptance that we more need
to know about. See below.

> >  * to list the number of committers (and growth since incubation
> > started, requires date added column in status file), added in the last
> > quarter, half year, year

To keep this easy for everyone, if project's would use a simple
"News" section in their Status page. For example:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/tika.html#News
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/buildr.html#News
then "clutch" can look for "release" and "new committer" entries.

> > Controversial (could be considered intruding on the mentor role):
> > (or more than there should be)
>
> Other columns could be added. Please add whatever you reckon.
>
> Some of those features are addressed by some Apache Labs.
>
> This "Clutch" tool will become rather cumbersome. It would
> be ideal if other tools could focus on specific tasks and
> generate output that can just be gathered by Clutch.
>
> Now that we have a reliable list of projects in incubation
> (i.e. clutch.txt) other tools have a list to work with.

There is now also a Python "pickle" file containing some
basic attributes of each project. See clutch2data.py in
the top-level of SVN incubator/public/trunk

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Really cool, useful and in one word: wow.

Additional features could be
 * to scan the svn logs for to see if there's any activity (last week,
last month, ever), and by how many different committers
 * to scan the dev@ list archives to see if there's any activity (last
week, last month, ever)
 * to scan the issue tracker (or issue list) for any action
 * to list the number of committers (and growth since incubation
started, requires date added column in status file), added in the last
quarter, half year, year

Controversial (could be considered intruding on the mentor role):
(or more than there should be)

Martijn

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 12:37 PM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> I recently found that some new projects get a little
> lost at the acceptance phase. Also we have a large
> number of projects in Incubation (36) which is becoming
> difficult to keep in touch. We need to be able to see
> at a glance the status of the set of podlings.
>
> I developed a tool called "clutch". Below are some notes
> from its generated web page.
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html
>
> The coloured summary table is intended to encourage
> and nuture.
>
> -------------
> Clutch is a tool which gathers details about projects
> currently in incubation.
>
> It reads the Wiki page at ReportingSchedule then builds a
> list of projects, adds some attributes, does some validation.
> Then it reads the source file for the "projects currently
> in incubation" table, ensures that each new project has an entry,
> adds some more attributes.
>
> The clutch is the set of eggs which have been laid.
> The mother hen (our Incubator PMC) needs to continually
> gather them, to ensure that none have rolled from the nest
> or moved to the outside, being forgotten or becoming cold.
> Clutch also means to grasp eagerly.
>
> So please interpret this table from the point-of-view of
> encouragement and nurture.
>
> Anything "red" is an issue that should be addressed ASAP.
> The "orange" means that they are new and on the monthly
> reporting schedule. Otherwise we are looking for healthy
> "gold" yolks. Cooling off into the "murk" also needs attention.
>
> Data files are also generated so that other tools can easily
> re-use the metadata for the set of projects currently in incubation.
>
>  * clutch.txt - list of project names, one per line.
>  * Structured list of various details. Not yet happening
>    - need to decide which format (N3, DOAP, etc.) and which
>      attributes to be stored.
>
> Any Incubator committer can run 'clutch'. In the top-level of
> the "incubator" SVN, do: 'python clutch.py' which will generate
> a source xml file in "site-author" directory. Then build and
> deploy the site as normal.
>
> -------------
>
> It is my first foray into Python. Please improve my attempt.
>
> That language was chosen as it seems to have all necessary
> facilities available without needing additional dependencies.
> So all Incubator committers should be able to utilise the tool.
>
> Later i found INCUBATOR-78 which sees some other issues.
> Clutch addresses some of them.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-78
>
> -David

Apache Wicket 1.3.4 is released

Re: new tool "clutch" assist oversight of all podlings

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > >
> > > Data files are also generated so that other tools can easily
> > > re-use the metadata for the set of projects currently in incubation.
> > >
> > >  * clutch.txt - list of project names, one per line.
> > >  * Structured list of various details. Not yet happening
> > >    - need to decide which format (N3, DOAP, etc.) and which
> > >      attributes to be stored.
> >
> > RDFa has the advantage that the X(HT)ML document can be viewed
> > adequately in a browser
>
> I had wondered about that too. Is it easy to generate
> that output without the support of an rdf module?
> Note that i am trying to keep the dependencies of
> Clutch to an absolute minimum, so that any incubator
> committer can run it.
>
> One approach that i have been considering is to dump
> the data from clutch to a Python "pickle" file, then
> run a separate process which connects to people.apache.org
> (like you do with the "audit" scanner) where we could
> have the necessary Python modules installed to easily
> generate other data output files.

Now done the next step:

Serialise certain attributes to a pickle file
in incubator SVN at public/trunk/clutch.pkl
Uses binary pickle which also stops unnecessary
svn commit diff emails.

A separate python script 'clutch2data.py' can utilise that
data to create whatever xml data structure we decide.

This de-couples the tasks of collecting the data and
producing the special output. Not yet sure if that is the
correct approach

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

<snip>

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Upayavira wrote:
> This page says that podlings are in month1/2/3 for reports. Would it be
> possible to show on the page what months each of these relate to? That
> would really help checking reports for a specific month.

Done now.

> Otherwise, a real "blimey" page, really useful. Thanks!

Thanks for your encouragement.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
This page says that podlings are in month1/2/3 for reports. Would it be
possible to show on the page what months each of these relate to? That
would really help checking reports for a specific month.

Otherwise, a real "blimey" page, really useful. Thanks!

Upayavira

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> Really nice David.  I went through VCL and Olio and the info is spot
> on.  Thanks!

Good, glad that it is useful. Thanks for that verification.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> >
> > BTW I don't think there's a link to clutch.html on the incubator website.
>
> Yeah, i haven't yet figured out which section of the
> left-hand menu to put it.
>
> I am inclined towards "Podling Guides" section just above
> the "Graduation" item, rather than the more official
> top-most section. I see this as serving many purposes.
>
> I will soon go ahead with that unless i hear otherwise,
> i.e. i presume that the IPMC is okay with this approach.

I decided that the "guides" all belong as as a group,
so i put it at the top-level after them.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> >> ...Just ran clutch to process the Pig graduation changes, inconsistencies
> >> between [1] and [2] were detected correctly, everything looks good.
> >
> > There is something wrong there. Clutch should not
> > fail like this. The Pig entry should simply be
> > removed from the table....
>
> I don't think Clutch failed - what I did is

Damnit, sorry to cause you effort. It was my side.
I had neglected to do 'svn up' to pick up your
changes to projects/index.xml file and clutch.py
crashed for me. I read your message too quickly
and thought you saw the same.

Still, clutch.py needs to handle that.

> 1. Move pig from the "incubating" to "graduated" section of
> projects/index.html (or rather the xml source of that)
>
> 2. Run clutch before removing pig from the wiki ReportingSchedule page
>
> At that point clutch complained about pig missing from
> projects/index.html, as expected.

Ah, good test. Thanks.

> 3. Remove pig from ReportingSchedule
>
> 4. Run clutch again, everything looks good to me, pig removed from the
> clutch.html page.

Fantastic.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:31 AM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> ...Just ran clutch to process the Pig graduation changes, inconsistencies
>> between [1] and [2] were detected correctly, everything looks good.
>
> There is something wrong there. Clutch should not
> fail like this. The Pig entry should simply be
> removed from the table....

I don't think Clutch failed - what I did is

1. Move pig from the "incubating" to "graduated" section of
projects/index.html (or rather the xml source of that)

2. Run clutch before removing pig from the wiki ReportingSchedule page

At that point clutch complained about pig missing from
projects/index.html, as expected.

3. Remove pig from ReportingSchedule

4. Run clutch again, everything looks good to me, pig removed from the
clutch.html page.

BTW I don't think there's a link to clutch.html on the incubator website.

-Bertrand

Re: new tool "clutch" assist oversight of all podlings

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> > ...I developed a tool called "clutch". Below are some notes
> > from its generated web page....
>
> Just ran clutch to process the Pig graduation changes, inconsistencies
> between [1] and [2] were detected correctly, everything looks good.

There is something wrong there. Clutch should not
fail like this. The Pig entry should simply be
removed from the table.

I am now away to dinner. Will look later.

-David

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.