Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2008/01/19 12:51:55 UTC

Re: [HttpCore] HttpCore 4.0-beta1 release packages preview (3nd take)

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 19:40 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 18/01/2008, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Folks
> >
> > Please take one last look at the preview packages and the release notes:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcore-4.0-beta1-preview/RELEASE_NOTES.txt
> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcore-4.0-beta1-preview/packages/
> >
> > If I hear no complaints, I'll go ahead with cutting the final release
> > packages and call for a vote around 13:00 GMT tomorrow.
>
> Sorry, only just noticed that BUILDING.txt mentions:
>
> ... (such as NIOSSL) ...
> and
> module-niossl/target/httpcore-niossl-<VERSION>.jar
>
> Surely NIOSSL is no longer part of the build?
>
> Also Java 1.5 is now required for NIO.

Done.

> This is not a blocker, but if you do decide to the text it would be
> worth stating that Core requires 1.4 and Nio requires 1.5
>
> ==
>
> Also the directories etc. include alpha7-SNAPSHOT rather than beta1,
> but I assume that will change when the final packages are built.

Absolutely.

> ==
>
> The source archive does not seem to contain everything in SVN. The
> following directory trees are missing:
>
> contrib
> src
> module-main/src/site
> module-nio/src/site
>
> I can understand why the contrib directory might be omitted, but the
> src/main/assembly files are needed for the creating a distribution
> using "mvn package assembly:assembly" as described in BUILDING.txt.
>
> And it would do no harm to include the site files.
>
> In JMeter we include everything (apart from perhaps the DOAP file) in
> either the bin or src archives.

Done.

> ==
>
> BTW, there are some missing SVN properties (e.g. eol-style native) on
> some of the files in the root directory:
>
> doap, LICENSE, pom
>
> These probably need to be fixed from a Unix account.
>
> Assuming they are LF currently, this won't affect the release
> preparation if that is also done on Unix.

As far as I understand you took care of that.

Are there any other problems / release blockers?

Oleg

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 03:14 +0000, sebb wrote:
> Done some more testing.
>
> Looks like the problem may be that when port 9998 is closed, sometimes
> the SelectionKey for the 9999 channel becomes invalid.
>
> I created a wrapper class for SelectionKey in
> DefaultListeningIOReactor to keep track of calls to cancel(); this
> seems to show that the key can become invalid *without* being
> cancelled...
>
> It's not clear how this happens.

Hi Sebastian,

I think this is because the channel associated with that key gets closed
before the key itself is canceled. Ain't NIO fun?

I think I have found the cause of the problem. NIO code on Windows still
appears buggy or at the very least its behavior is inconsistent with
that of common *nix platforms.

I checked in a workaround for the problem and am in the process of doing
some final testing

> There is an "interesting" package private method
> AbstractSelectionKey#invalidate() which just sets valid=false. Could
> this be called internally?
>
> Getting late; might try running that under debug tomorrow.

Do not waste any more of your time on debugging. The problem is
perfectly reproducible on my single core Windows box and I should be
able to fix it in the course of the day

Oleg

Re: [HttpCore] HttpCore 4.0-beta1 release packages preview (3nd take)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19/01/2008, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> >> Just run the tests in the module-nio folder
> >>
> >> cd module-nio; mvn test
> >
> > Tried that, unfortunately it does not work:
> >
> >  D:\eclipseworkspaces\main\httpcore\module-nio>mvn test
> > [INFO] Scanning for projects...
> > [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------
> > [INFO] Building HttpCore (NIO extensions module)
> > [INFO]    task-segment: [test]
> > [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------
> > [INFO] [resources:resources]
> > [INFO] Using default encoding to copy filtered resources.
> > [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------
> > [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> > [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------
> > [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
> >
> > Missing:
> > ----------
> > 1) org.apache.httpcomponents:httpcore:jar:4.0-alpha7-SNAPSHOT
> >

> You have to make sure HttpCore main has been installed locally.
>
> cd module-main; mvn install

Ah, thanks - that's fixed it.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19/01/2008, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 14:15 +0000, sebb wrote:

> > > Done.

> > > Absolutely.

> > > Done.

> > > As far as I understand you took care of that.
> > >

> > Yes, sorry, should have reported that I'd done it.
> >
> > I also just fixed the svn props for LICENSE and *.apt.
> >
> > > Are there any other problems / release blockers?
> >
> > Still getting the NIO test failure - but not every time.
> >
> > I don't think it's a release blocker for a Beta release.
> > However it occurs to me that it should be mentioned in the release
> > notes (and announce ?).
> > This is both to warn users and to solicit feedback on which platforms
> > have the problem and which don't.
> >

> Since the problem appears to be reproducible on a single core Windows
> systems, I'll setup the damn thing on a separate partition and see if I
> could reproduce the problem locally.

I'm happy to test here as well.

> > The nio error makes it difficult to test the assembly stage, as
> > assembly seems to depend on test (perhaps via package).
> >
> > BTW:
> > Is there a way to just perform the assembly?
>
> You can't just do assembly alone but you you can disable tests
>
> mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true package assembly:assembly

Thanks, that works.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19/01/2008, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19/01/2008, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> > > Sorry, only just noticed that BUILDING.txt mentions:
> > >
> > > ... (such as NIOSSL) ...
> > > and
> > > module-niossl/target/httpcore-niossl-<VERSION>.jar
> > >
> > > Surely NIOSSL is no longer part of the build?
> > >
> > > Also Java 1.5 is now required for NIO.
> > >

> > Done.
> >
> > > This is not a blocker, but if you do decide to the text it would be
> > > worth stating that Core requires 1.4 and Nio requires 1.5
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Also the directories etc. include alpha7-SNAPSHOT rather than beta1,
> > > but I assume that will change when the final packages are built.
> > >

> > Absolutely.
> >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > The source archive does not seem to contain everything in SVN. The
> > > following directory trees are missing:
> > >
> > > contrib
> > > src
> > > module-main/src/site
> > > module-nio/src/site
> > >
> > > I can understand why the contrib directory might be omitted, but the
> > > src/main/assembly files are needed for the creating a distribution
> > > using "mvn package assembly:assembly" as described in BUILDING.txt.
> > >
> > > And it would do no harm to include the site files.
> > >
> > > In JMeter we include everything (apart from perhaps the DOAP file) in
> > > either the bin or src archives.
> > >

> > Done.
> >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > BTW, there are some missing SVN properties (e.g. eol-style native) on
> > > some of the files in the root directory:
> > >
> > > doap, LICENSE, pom
> > >
> > > These probably need to be fixed from a Unix account.
> > >
> > > Assuming they are LF currently, this won't affect the release
> > > preparation if that is also done on Unix.
> > >

> > As far as I understand you took care of that.
> >

> Yes, sorry, should have reported that I'd done it.
>
> I also just fixed the svn props for LICENSE and *.apt.
>
> > Are there any other problems / release blockers?
>
> Still getting the NIO test failure - but not every time.

Just tried a test after having switched off one of the CPUs.
The first test after reboot failed, the second worked, and the third
and 4th failed.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.