Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Walter Treur <wt...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/26 17:50:51 UTC

OSGi testing framework

Hello all,

I noticed there are some threads about (integration) testing for Felix
so I guess this could be interesting.

For my graduation assignment at luminis I am creating an OSGi testing
framework to test OSGi-specification conformance. The original
framework was created by Angelo van der Sijpt, but was only tailord
towards Felix. The most important part of the assignment was to extend
this to more frameworks like equinox, knopflerfish etc.

I used Pax Exam (currently v1.1.0) to achieve the generalization. At
this stage, it has native support for Felix <= 1.8.0, Equinox <=
3.5.0, Knopflerfish <= 2.3.1 and Concierge 1.0.0, but you can specify
you own framework binary as long at it is based on some of the vendors
Pax Exam supports (Felix, Equinox, etc) I already used this to test
Felix 2.0.0 and 2.0.1. (With success :) )

Writing tests is as simple as creating a JUnit test extending a
special TestBase class. This class provides some utilities to
dynamically deploy bundles with package import/export and to
dynamically manage you own services.
Furthermore. I extended the JUnit html-output to render a simple
matrix that shows the testresults for all the frameworks that where
tested.

My graduation will take place in january 2010. Until then I will (try
to) work on the following issues:
- Fix open issues/bugs
- Add support to automatically test nightly builds.
- Create tests to cover more parts of the specification. (eg: tests for v4.2)
- Add support to specify correlation between the specific tests and
the part(s) of the OSGi-specification they cover. (And display this in
the test-results)
- Add support for multiple versions of the OSGi-specification. (4.1 vs 4.2)
- Add support to test specification conformance of compendium services.

For now, the testresults from our own build server aren't publicly
available online, without creating an account. I have some issues with
the Confluence WEBDav plugin which I hope to resolve soon.

More information can be found at:
http://opensource.luminis.net/wiki/display/OSGITEST/OSGi+testing+framework

Regards,
Walter Treur

Re: OSGi testing framework

Posted by Walter Treur <wt...@gmail.com>.
Hello again,

The testresults of our own build are now publicly available at
http://opensource.luminis.net/svn/OSGITESTRESULTS/trunk/index.html

Regards,
Walter Treur