Posted to user@hive.apache.org by "@Sanjiv Singh" <sa...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/09 13:18:51 UTC

HIVE : LEFT OUTER JOIN + NON-EQUI JOIN

Hi All,

I am having issue hive LEFT OUTER JOIN.

I had al table in sql-server. then used sqoop to migrate all tables on
hive.

This is the original query from sql-server which contains non-equi  LEFT
OUTER  JOIN.  both table have *cartesian data*.

SELECT
  vss.company_id,vss.shares_ship_id,vss.seatmap_cd,vss.cabin,vss.seat,
vss.seat_loc_dscr, vss.ep_seat AS EPlus_Seat, vss.ep_win_seat,
vss.ep_asle_seat, vss.ep_mid_seat, vss.em_win_seat,
  vss.em_mid_seat,vss.em_asle_seat,vss.y_win_seat,  vss.y_mid_seat,
vss.y_asle_seat,  vss.fj_win_seat, vss.fj_mid_seat,
vss.fj_asle_seat,vss.exit_row,  vss.bulkhead_row, vss.eff_dt, vss.disc_dt
FROM rvsed11 zz
LEFT OUTER JOIN rvsed22 vss
  ON zz.company_id = vss.company_id
  AND zz.shares_ship_id = vss.shares_ship_id
  AND *zz.report_dt >= vss.eff_dt *
  AND *zz.report_dt < vss.disc_dt*;

As we know that Nonequi joins are not working in hive ( Nonequi joins
working in WHERE clause but we cannot use with LEFT OUTER JOIN).

See below hive query with noon-equi condition moved to where clause.

SELECT
  vss.company_id,vss.shares_ship_id,vss.seatmap_cd,vss.cabin,vss.seat,
vss.seat_loc_dscr, vss.ep_seat AS EPlus_Seat, vss.ep_win_seat,
vss.ep_asle_seat, vss.ep_mid_seat, vss.em_win_seat,
  vss.em_mid_seat,vss.em_asle_seat,vss.y_win_seat,  vss.y_mid_seat,
vss.y_asle_seat,  vss.fj_win_seat, vss.fj_mid_seat,
vss.fj_asle_seat,vss.exit_row,  vss.bulkhead_row, vss.eff_dt, vss.disc_dt
FROM rvsed11 zz
LEFT OUTER JOIN rvsed22 vss
  ON zz.company_id = vss.company_id
  AND zz.shares_ship_id = vss.shares_ship_id

*WHERE zz.report_dt >= vss.eff_dt   AND zz.report_dt < vss.disc_dt;*

Original query is giving 1162 records on Sql-Server , but  this hive query
giving 46240 records.
I tried multiple workaround to get same logic , but didn't get same result
on hive.

Can you please help me on this to identify this issue and get query working
on hive with same result set.

Let me know you need other details.

Regards
Sanjiv Singh
Mob :  +091 9990-447-339

RE: HIVE : LEFT OUTER JOIN + NON-EQUI JOIN

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@peridale.co.uk>.
Can you do two paths?

create temporary table tmp AS

SELECT zz.report_dt, vss.eff_dt, vss.disc_dt, … rest of columns

FROM rvsed11 zz
LEFT OUTER JOIN rvsed22 vss
  ON zz.company_id = vss.company_id
  AND zz.shares_ship_id = vss.shares_ship_id

;

select <needed columns> from #tmp

Where

report_dt >= eff_dt  AND report_dt < disc_dt;

that should return correct results

HTH,

Mich