Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Ryan Withers <wi...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/23 23:56:03 UTC

Contributions and getting started

To whom it may concern,

  So my goal is to begin making contributions to the nifi product.  Right
now I'm just trying to build the product from source and having some
difficulty.

I've listed out the branches associated with the following repository (git
clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/nifi.git)

I don't see any support branches related to 1.8.0 and it seems like the
master branch has already been bumped to 1.9.0.   I recognize that if I
want to contribute a change it likely has to be done against 1.9.0 rather
than 1.8.0 but I've been having build issues against 1.9.0.  However, I did
have a successful build against support/nifi-1.7.x.

Once I have the appropriate version of the source compiling I plan to pick
an issue from your jira instance which I've been reading through.  Then
perform a modification and walk through the pull request process.  With
Jira I'm noticing there are some stories that say "in progress" or "patch
available" but none of them have an assignee.  Is the transition between
these states driven by automation or are people manually updating the
stories in Jira?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

--
Ryan Withers
Senior Software Developer / Analyst

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanwithers

Re: Contributions and getting started

Posted by Kevin Doran <kd...@apache.org>.
Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the Apache NiFi community! It's great to hear that you're interested in contributing to the project.

In addition to what Andy said, here are a couple notes that might help:

- The ASF git repo URL you mentioned [1] is an old URL. The project recently moved to gitbox [2] / github [3] as the official project repo. I *think* the old location stil works or at least redirects to github, but you'll want to update your remote to be one of the new repos in case the old URL stops working.

- For most releases, you won't see a version branch, just a git tag. Release version tags are in the form "rel/nifi-MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH", so to switch to the source code revision for a given version, you can use "git checkout rel/nifi-1.8.0"

- As Andy mentioned, share your build failures for the current master (1.9.0-SNAPSHOT) and we'll try to help sort it out for you. We try to keep the build passing on master for all platforms.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/nifi.git
[2] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=nifi.git
[3] https://github.com/apache/nifi

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.
Hi Ryan,

[7] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide>

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.
Hi Ryan,

The gRPC bundle is not always required for the build, but if it exists, then subsequent builds do require that profile to be enabled. We hope to make this easier to handle with upcoming improvements.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/570136ec0f230d5d22d707e029e9287effe12e31d78ffdbc7dabc09a@%3Cdev.nifi.apache.org%3E

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com