Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/09/15 02:08:11 UTC

Re: Daffodil Code Donation to ASF

Steve,

Apologies for the late reply.  I had this on my todo for last week, thought
I responded, but didn't.

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 2:06 PM Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org> wrote:

> I've thoroughly gone through the Daffodil codebase and documented all
> the potential code ownership issues that I think need to be resolved
> before we can donate the code to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF).
> My findings are below.
>
> 1) The majority of the code is copyright NCSA, Tresys, or Mike Beckerle.
> The contributors from NCSA and some from Tresys now work at different
> companies and so contacting all of them may be difficult. We have
> contacted representatives for these entities and are working to get SGAs
> from NCSA, Tresys, and Mike Beckerle in place. We believe these three
> SGAs should cover contributions made by past employees.

There's two types of open source.  For the situation you're describing, it
makes sense to wait on SGAs since the copyright owners are companies not
individuals (I think Mike has already signed off). (the other type is when
the individuals retain the IP, in which case the ICLA is preferred but only
required if the copyright says something like "Contributors to <Project>")

> 2) Some contributions came from other entities that we no longer have
> contact with. Based on the git log, this includes:
>
> - Jeffrey Jacobs (Navy Research Lab)
> - Stephanie Huber (Air Force Research Lab)
> - Alonza Mumford (Department of Defense)
> - Jonathan Cranford (MITRE)
> - Jacob Baker (Booze Allen Hamilton)
>
> Of this list, the first three are federal government entities. Our
> understanding is that federal government contributions are Public
> Domain, and so perhaps we do not need an SGA for these contributions?
> This needs to be confirmed.

I forget the rules here.  You're right that its public domain, but there
are some nuances with then including it in a grant.  I'd actually recommend
asking the question on legal-discuss list and get their opinion.  Our
present VP Legal is actually Chief Architect for NASA JPL so he should be
pretty familiar with the situation.

> We have looked at the patches contributed from the non-government
> entities (Jonathan Cranford and Jacob Baker), and have confirmed that
> their changes have since been replaced as Daffodil has evolved, so we do
> not believe an SGA is necessary for their contributions.
>
> 3) A handful of tests and schema files were given to us from IBM and
> include an IBM copyright. The license for these files is unknown. We are
> working with IBM to get an SGA for these contributions.
>
> 4) The tests in item 3 include example snippets taken out of the DFDL
> specification, which are labeled as copyright Global Gird Forum (now
> renamed to the Open Grid Forum (OGF)). Regarding the ownership of these
> files, the OGF has stated:
>
>   In general OGF takes the position that it does not copyright or
>   license software, and that the examples used in specifications are
>   just that, examples of how to use the specification rather than
>   separately copyrighted code snippets.
>
> The full copyright notice regarding the contents of OGF documents is at:
>
>   https://www.ogf.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/about/copyright
>
> The copyright is copied at the end of this email for reference [1]. To
> me, this means we do not need an SGA, but may need to include the
> copyright notice from the link.

Agreed, more likely than not we would place that in our LICENSE file.  We
can confirm this on legal when we're ready to do a release.

> 5) We have copied code from the Scala library into Daffodil. The license
> is 3-clause BSD and should not cause any issues, aside from needing to
> include the license.

Agreed.  Just make sure none of the grants indicate this code is included.
Same for the next.

> 6) We have copied code from the Passera library into Daffodil. The
> license is 3-clause BSD and should not cause any issues, aside from
> needing to include the license.
>
> We additionally have dependencies on other libraries, but none of their
> code is included in the Daffodil source. We believe they are all
> compatible with the Apache v2 license, including Apache v2, BSD, MIT,
> and ICU.

Dependencies are generally not an issue, unless they're GPL.  Even LGPL has
some interesting ways to work around.

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
On 10/05/2017 02:30 PM, John D. Ament wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:22 PM Joshua Adams <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> We have reviewed the commits that were made by the following government
>> employees: Alonza Mumford, Stephanie Huber (shuber), and Jeffrey Jacobs
>> (Jeffrey C. Jacobs, jeffrey.jacobs, timehorse).  These contributors were
>> only active for a short period of time 5 years ago (2012) and we believe
>> that there is no need for them to sign an SGA as the vast majority of the
>> changes they made have been removed in the 5 years since they were added.
>>

> Unless these individuals are copyright holders to the source code, there is
> never a case for an individual to sign an SGA.  Individuals may sign ICLAs
> if there's a belief they have contributed in a way that requires it (e.g.
> active code).

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like since to contributions from
Alonza, Staphanie, and Jeffrey are essentially gone, we do not need an
ICLA from them or an SGA from their company.

An update on SGA status, Tresys recently submitted a CCLA and SGA. We
are still waiting on an SGA from NCSA and IBM.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Joshua,

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.