Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris Estes <ce...@nexussystems.com> on 2004/02/12 16:28:58 UTC

Problem connecting to repository on new install

I'm new to Subversion and Linux, and I hope this not a stupid question. I've been using PVCS Version Manager on Windows, so  this could be due to my lack of Subversion knowledge or some Linux/Apache setting.

I have followed the Subversion Book instructions for creating a repository and populating it with a tree of files. When I try  to access it, this is the problem I run into. I am listing the results in Mozilla Firebird, IE6, TortoiseSVN, and from the  shell.

url viewed from client in Mozilla Firebird:
<D:error>
<C:error/>
<m:human-readable errcode="160029">
Could not open the requested SVN filesystem
</m:human-readable>
</D:error>

url viewed from client in IE6:
HTTP 500 Internal server error

URL viewed from client in TortoiseSVN:
svn: PROPFIND request faild on '/svn/repos'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/repos': 500 Internal Server Error (http://10.0.1.55)

checkout called from the server shell:
# svn checkout http:/10.0.1.55/svn/repos
Authentication realm: <http://10.0.1.55:80> Subversion repositories
password for 'root': (pls note: I've tried this in non-root acct. also)
svn: PROPFIND request faild on '/svn/repos'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/repos': 500 Internal Server Error (http://10.0.1.55)

Apache Error Log:
!Permission denied
[date and time] [error] [client ip] Could not fetch resource information. [500, #0]
[date and time] [error] [client ip] Could not open the requested SVN filesystem [500, #160029]
![date and time] [error] [client ip] (13)Permission denied: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem [500, #160029]
[date and time] [error] [client ip] (20014)Error strink not specified yet: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for  filesystem /usr/local/svn/repos/db:

Re: Problem connecting to repository on new install

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 10:28, Chris Estes wrote:

>  (13)Permission denied: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

That's your error.  Your apache process doesn't have full read/write
permission on the entire repository.  Be sure to read the last section
in chapter 6, "using multiple servers" too.