Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ja...@learningtree.com on 2004/12/13 16:58:27 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache not receiving port 80 traffic - Linux, Netgear

I'm at my wits end with this - as I have spent 3 days on reading logs,
posts - everything I could get my hands on to resolve what 'seems' to be a
simple problem, but I'm at the point to where I have to post.  I have tried
multiple solutions that I've read - and so far - no good.  I'll try to be
brief and would appreciate any help from others.

ISP - Adelphia - home network connection via cable modem (have called them
- they don't block anything inbound)
Netgear WGT642 router - 2 systems connected up behind it - 1 is an XP box -
the other is a RH9 with Apache 2.0 from the RH RPM updates.

Long story short - I can access the 'test' page fine from the XP box and
from the RH9 system just fine - no problems I can see behind the firewall.

Port forwarding on the netgear is a no brainer - configured properly - and
for testing - have also set up port 8000 to forward to the RH server.

Port 80 destined to the RH box - I see the initial handshake using
tcpdump...but apache never gets the traffic on port 80 from outside the
firewall.  I'm a newbie at seeing tcpdump traffic...but from reading on the
web - the 3-part handshake doesn't appear to function - on port 80 only...
on 8000 it works fine, and inside my local network it works fine...

So - a synopsis -

port 80 works fine inside my network - I see the test page
port 8000 works fine inside and outside my network - I see the test page
port 80 does not work - from outside my network.

I've tried MTU size adjustments - 1492, 1436, and the default 1500 - but
since it works on port 8000 - this probably isn't the problem.

I've looked at my iptables - whether its 'on' or not doesn't matter - it
still won't function on port 80 from outside.  When 'on' I do see the ALLOW
rule to allow port 80 traffic through.

-jim