Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Gray, Richard" <ri...@dns.co.uk> on 2005/02/09 17:42:41 UTC

new strategy?

Please just throw fish at me if this has already been proposed, but I
was thinking today about what aspects of spamming a spammer finds hard
to change.

Changing names and IP addresses are easy, but I imagine that finding a
DNS server that will be authoratitive for them is a tougher challenge.

So, if one was to develop a list of the name servers that are
authoratative for spam domains, then when a spammer changes but keeps
the same name server, we will know and squash them!

I'm imagining this in a set up that is engineered around trust (unknown
sender, untrusted NS = mid level sensitivity; unknown sender; bad NS =
high sensitivity)

I imagine the checks could be done using perl's DNS lookup module?

This email from dns has been validated by dnsMSS Managed Email Security and is free from all known viruses.

For further information contact email-integrity@dns.co.uk

Re: new strategy?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 11:42 AM 2/9/2005, Gray, Richard wrote:
>Please just throw fish at me if this has already been proposed, but I was
>thinking today about what aspects of spamming a spammer finds hard to change.
>
>Changing names and IP addresses are easy, but I imagine that finding a DNS
>server that will be authoratitive for them is a tougher challenge.
>
>So, if one was to develop a list of the name servers that are
>authoratative for spam domains, then when a spammer changes but keeps the
>same name server, we will know and squash them!

IIRC SA 3.x's URIBL_SBL already works this way by checking authoritative
nameservers for URLs.