Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> on 2010/06/15 17:36:22 UTC

MPM default config and conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf

I noticed, that the values in conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf in parts differ
hugely from the corresponding MPM defaults.

IMHO activating conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf should be safe in the sense
that you don't get changed MPM behaviour as long as you don't change the
file contents. If we think the values in conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf are
better than the defaults, those should be the defaults.

If people agree, I would first correct conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf to
contain the actual defaults, and of course if we think those are not
good, we can then improve them.

Examples:

- MaxRequestsPerChild (for most MPMs default is 10000 - pretty low
nowadays, in the config it's "0")
- MaxClients for event and worker: default 400, in the config 250
... many more ...

Regards,

Rainer

Re: MPM default config and conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 6/15/2010 11:33 AM, Rainer Jung wrote:

> Sorry Bill, don't get it here: what do you suggest? Applying the
> existing values from conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf to the MPM source code?

Just suggesting we don't really need to 'normalize' these first.  Discuss
the appropriate values on dev@ and commit the fix in the corresponding
place(s) :)

Re: MPM default config and conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 6/15/2010 4:15 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 15.06.2010 22:51, Igor Galić wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if this thread is wrong enough for the topic:
>>
>> Would it be possible to choose defaults for the MPMs based on
>> the available CPU(core)s and the Memory, rather than just hard
>> coding the values?
>
> I doubt it's worth it and that we can make it work nicely. I think we
> are looking for a mid-size configuration that neither optimizes on tiny
> systems (saving as much resources as possible) nor on high load systems
> (extreme scaling) but instead for the huge number on configurations in
> between, that hope to work reasonable with default sizing.
>
> If we are talking about auto-detecting system resources: Memory and CPU
> in these cases often is not only used for httpd because it is not the
> only application on the system.
>
> If we want the user to assign those resources I doubt we can find good
> formulas.

The subject sounds like it's just crying out for additional lua magic :)

Re: MPM default config and conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> > I wonder if this thread is wrong enough for the topic:
> >
> > Would it be possible to choose defaults for the MPMs based on
> > the available CPU(core)s and the Memory, rather than just hard
> > coding the values?
>
> I doubt it's worth it and that we can make it work nicely. I think we
>
> are looking for a mid-size configuration that neither optimizes on
> tiny
> systems (saving as much resources as possible) nor on high load
> systems
> (extreme scaling) but instead for the huge number on configurations in
>
> between, that hope to work reasonable with default sizing.
>
> If we are talking about auto-detecting system resources: Memory and
> CPU
> in these cases often is not only used for httpd because it is not the
>
> only application on the system.
>
> If we want the user to assign those resources I doubt we can find good
>
> formulas.

ACK.
Then it's probably best to set sane defaults which will work well
and work well everywhere.
In the config we could then provide hints how to scale it up or down.

> Rainer

Bye
--
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 699 122 96 338
Fax: +43(0) 1 91 333 41
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: MPM default config and conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.
----- "Rainer Jung" <ra...@kippdata.de> wrote:

> I noticed, that the values in conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf in parts
> differ
> hugely from the corresponding MPM defaults.
>
> IMHO activating conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf should be safe in the sense
>
> that you don't get changed MPM behaviour as long as you don't change
> the
> file contents. If we think the values in conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf are
>
> better than the defaults, those should be the defaults.
>
> If people agree, I would first correct conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf to
> contain the actual defaults, and of course if we think those are not
> good, we can then improve them.
>
> Examples:
>
> - MaxRequestsPerChild (for most MPMs default is 10000 - pretty low
> nowadays, in the config it's "0")
> - MaxClients for event and worker: default 400, in the config 250
> ... many more ...

I wonder if this thread is wrong enough for the topic:

Would it be possible to choose defaults for the MPMs based on
the available CPU(core)s and the Memory, rather than just hard
coding the values?

> Regards,
>
> Rainer

So long,