Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Pid <pi...@pidster.com> on 2012/12/01 21:35:51 UTC

Non Apache software licensed under ASL

Hi,

If software is developed and licensed under version 2.0 of the Apache
License, is there a requirement to provide the NOTICE file?

Presumably works not developed at the ASF, can't claim:

 Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]
 Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation

(from http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice)

If the NOTICE file should still be present, what should it contain?

[key:62590808]

Re: Non Apache software licensed under ASL

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
First of all, re subject, It's "ALv2", not "ASL".  I assume you've
already read the license (paragraph 4(d)).  More below.

Pid wrote on Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 20:35:51 +0000:
> Hi,
>
> If software is developed and licensed under version 2.0 of the Apache
> License, is there a requirement to provide the NOTICE file?

If you you create a software outside of ASF and license it under ALv2,
you are not obligated to create a NOTICE file.  (Doing so might be good
software engineering, since the license special-cases the "NOTICE" file;
but that's a separate issue.)

> Presumably works not developed at the ASF, can't claim:
>
>  Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]
>  Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation
>
>  This product includes software developed at
>  The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).

Correct.