Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Ernst Fastl <er...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/27 21:56:25 UTC

Enhancing Partial Page Rendering

Hello everyone!

In the recent tomahawk issues related to the pprPanelGroup partial Page
Rendering has been improved in the following points:

-partialTriggers also work for commandLinks, selectOneMenu and
selectBooleanCheckBox (the last two still need onchange-Handlers)

-partialTriggers are also working between different forms now

-the partialTriggerPattern Attribute has been introduced: a regular expression
-> all matching ClientIds act as triggering Components

-the inlineLoadingMessage Attribute has been introduced- to display
a loading message replacing the pprPanelGroup - content immediatly
while waiting for the servers response

since the patches are not yet commited these features are not yet in
but they seem to work quite fine on my machine

next steps  I have in mind include:

-support nesting of pprPanelgroups which are not rendered in the first place
(some javascript transportation over xml and eval() on the client side
or similar ...

-support of an attribute to automatically trigger on all components inside
the pprPanelGroup

-support an attribute to refresh a pprPanelGroup always if any
partialTrigger triggers
a partial reload

-suport a general loading message right top of the screen

suggestions are always welcom :-)

I still have a problem with the component tree and server side state-saving
since I don't forward to the JSP-engine. If I understood the outcome of
the thread "Problems with Partial Page Rendering" correctly it will
be possible to create the component tree and invoke state-saving
without actually rendering. I'd appreciate that very much because
at the moment this is still missing in PPR and I don't know how to
do that.

thanks for all the interesing information in the PPR related threads

Ernst

Re: Enhancing Partial Page Rendering

Posted by Ernst Fastl <er...@gmail.com>.
A automatic refresh after a given timeout is another good idea. I think
this would be great for status-boards. lets add this to the list :-)

What I meant with point number 2 is intended, that you just sourround
a group of components with a pprPanelGroup and no matter which
of theese components is clicked, the pprPanalGroup updates itself
via AJAX without needing to specify triggers or a regex for the contained
component.

The Idea behind this is to make it really easy to ajaxize existing applications
by for instance sourrounding a datatable with its scoller just with a
pprPanelGroup
- set triggerOnContainedComponents ( or whatever we will call this) to true -
and the area is "ajaxed"

regards

Ernst

Posted by Gerald Müllan <bi...@gmail.com>.