Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Sascha Fröhlich <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/03 13:16:48 UTC

Creating a development environment in Eclipse with the latest trunk version

Hello everybody,

I was trying to setup my Eclipse with the newest trunk version, it seems
the layout has changed a bit since 2.3.1 :-)

I checked out the source in a Java project, everything works fine with
ant, too.

I believe when I want to develop in a "sub project" like
imapserver-function, I need to set its src-folder as "Source folder", is
that right?
But then it lacks many library dependencies, how do I set them correctly?

Can anyone give me a hint or two? :-)

Regards,
Sascha Froehlich

Re: Creating a development environment in Eclipse with the latest trunk version

Posted by Sascha Fröhlich <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2008/8/3 Zsombor <gz...@gmail.com>

> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>
> > Sascha Fröhlich ha scritto:
> >
> >> Hello everybody,
> >>
> >> I was trying to setup my Eclipse with the newest trunk version, it seems
> >> the layout has changed a bit since 2.3.1 :-)
> >>
> >> I checked out the source in a Java project, everything works fine with
> >> ant, too.
> >>
> >> I believe when I want to develop in a "sub project" like
> >> imapserver-function, I need to set its src-folder as "Source folder", is
> >> that right?
> >> But then it lacks many library dependencies, how do I set them
> correctly?
> >>
> >> Can anyone give me a hint or two? :-)
> >>

> I've run into the very same problem, and finally I'm able to figure out,
> unfortunately the eclipse project files, which the ant build script sets up
> have some problems, so I think, you should try to use "mvn
> eclipse:eclipse",
> and after, you can import as eclipse projects all the modules (the only
> suprising thing is that every module named as 'james-server-x-y' instead of
> the expected 'x-y' from the module directory).

I think i got it working with m2eclipse, thats a nice tool :-)

> > You have to add all the jars from the stage folder as library for your
> > project.
> >
> > Then you have to add "main/src" "main/resources" "test/src" and
> > "test/resources" folders for each module (most top level directories
> there
> > are modules) as source folders for eclipse.
> >
> > It should work.
> >
> > If you are a maven user you may be interested in the approach I use: I
> > usually use m2eclipse (Maven integration for eclipse) plugin for eclipse
> and
> > load I run "Maven => Enable Dependency Management" "Maven => Enable
> Nested
> > Modules". Even if we still use ant as our build tool we happen to have up
> > date m2 descriptors (pom.xml) in the source tree.
> >
> > About working in "imapserver-function" please make sure you start a
> thread
> > on server-dev@j.a.o list (developers list) because we currently have 2
> > imap implementations and Robert is dealing with them in order to remove
> one
> > soon, so you may want to get in touch with him so you work on code that
> > won't be dismissed ;-)
> >

> Which one ? I hope, not the simpler, working one ...
>
> BR,
>  Zsombor

I thought about the STARTTLS feature, but I'll start a discussion on
server-dev later... still busy having a look at the "post-stable-evolution"
:-)

Regards,
Sascha

Re: Creating a development environment in Eclipse with the latest trunk version

Posted by Zsombor <gz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Sascha Fröhlich ha scritto:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I was trying to setup my Eclipse with the newest trunk version, it seems
> the layout has changed a bit since 2.3.1 :-)
>
> I checked out the source in a Java project, everything works fine with
> ant, too.
>
> I believe when I want to develop in a "sub project" like
> imapserver-function, I need to set its src-folder as "Source folder", is
> that right?
> But then it lacks many library dependencies, how do I set them correctly?
>
> Can anyone give me a hint or two? :-)

You have to add all the jars from the stage folder as library for your
project.

Then you have to add "main/src" "main/resources" "test/src" and
"test/resources" folders for each module (most top level directories
there are modules) as source folders for eclipse.

It should work.

If you are a maven user you may be interested in the approach I use: I
usually use m2eclipse (Maven integration for eclipse) plugin for eclipse
and load I run "Maven => Enable Dependency Management" "Maven => Enable
Nested Modules". Even if we still use ant as our build tool we happen to
have up to date m2 descriptors (pom.xml) in the source tree.

About working in "imapserver-function" please make sure you start a
thread on server-dev@j.a.o list (developers list) because we currently
have 2 imap implementations and Robert is dealing with them in order to
remove one soon, so you may want to get in touch with him so you work on
code that won't be dismissed ;-)

Stefano