Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com> on 2015/04/07 21:01:28 UTC

Platform guides update

Hi guys, I see that some docs are outdated or not actual anymore so I want to improve this. Please let me know if someone already working on this or going to take a look. I've listed below some things I want to update, could you please review them before I stared working on this (additional suggestions and ideas are very welcome)

iOS:
    1. Xcode 4.x->5.x
    2. Add information about ios-sim required to deploy app from command line
    3. Add information how to list available deploy targets and run app on specific target/device

Android:
   1. Add changes in favor of replacing Ant w/ Gradle
       a. Remove Ant from requirements
       b. Replace Eclipse example w/ Android Studio as officially recommended option/tool
   2.  Add more details about particular Android packages/components required to be installed.
        Android 5.0.1 (API 21) platform SDK
        Android SDK Build-tools version 19.1.0 or higher
        Android Support Repository (Extras)
    3. Add information how to list available deploy targets and run app on specific target/device

Windows:
    1. Remove 'To develop apps for Windows 8.0 only:'
    2. Hardware requirements to run Windows Phone emulator (Client Hyper-V and Second Level Address Translation (SLAT))
    3. Add information how to list available deploy targets and run app on specific target/device

Thx!
Sergey

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
This is about setting up your Android environment to develop apps so
recommending Android Studio makes perfect sense.
http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/edge/guide_platforms_android_index.md.html#Android%20Platform%20Guide

@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
CLI + Android Studio are not mutually exclusive, provided you follow
certain workflows.  I always use CLI, but sometimes also use XCode /
Android Studio / Eclipse.

You do need to adhere to some rules in order to not shoot yourself in the
foot, which are usually hard to describe to users.  I believe the situation
has gotten easier with platform project -> top-level www/plugin symlink
support, but I haven't personally played with that much.

-Michal

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
AFAIK, Eclipse doesn't work with Gradle, and so won't work with
cordova-android@4.0.0

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
I think a good list of links would be nice, but it would be kind of a
chore to keep it updated.

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by "Parashuram N (MS OPEN TECH)" <pa...@microsoft.com>.

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Ivan Baktsheev <ow...@apla.me>.
Please do not remove Eclipse guide from docs. If you must write native plugin
for blackberry, you must install Momentics IDE, based on Eclipse. After some
extra steps you can use Momentics IDE environment for both platforms — Android and BB10.

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
+1000

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

RE: Platform guides update

Posted by "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.
Thank you ALL for your notes, going to send first PR for review beginning next week (PS. Travelling, so can't complete earlier).

-Sergey
Posted by "Homer, Tony" <to...@intel.com>.

Re: Platform guides update

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.