Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> on 2016/05/09 04:23:53 UTC

[VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.5 (RC0) is available

*** Please note that my key expired since the previous release. I have
updated its expiration, pushed to pgp.mit.edu, updated the KEYS file linked
below, and attempted to force an update on id.apache.org. I don't know how
long it will take for people.apache.org to refresh. ***

*** Please note that this voting window is slightly shorter than the
customary one week so that we have time for an RC1 before HBaseCon, if
necessary. ***

I'm happy to announce the first release candidate of HBase 1.1.5 (HBase-1.1
.5RC0) is available for download at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-1.1.5RC0/

Maven artifacts are also available in the staging repository
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1136/

Artifacts are signed with my code signing subkey 0xAD9039071C3489BD,
available in the Apache keys directory
https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/ndimiduk.asc and in our KEYS file
http://www-us.apache.org/dist/hbase/KEYS.

There's also a signed tag for this release at
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase.git;a=tag;h=92323e8e630e46d277ab2e8ebd34b91ab5d597d5

The detailed source and binary compatibility report vs 1.1.4 has been
published for your review, at
http://home.apache.org/~ndimiduk/1.1.4_1.1.5RC0_compat_report.html

HBase 1.1.5 is the fifth patch release in the HBase 1.1 line, continuing on
the theme of bringing a stable, reliable database to the Hadoop and NoSQL
communities. This release includes over 20 bug fixes since the 1.1.4
release. Notable correctness fixes
include HBASE-15234, HBASE-15295, HBASE-15325, HBASE-15622, and HBASE-15645.

The full list of fixes included in this release is available at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12335058
and and in the CHANGES.txt file included in the distribution.

Please try out this candidate and vote +/-1 by 23:59 Pacific time on
Thursday, 2016-05-12 as to whether we should release these artifacts as
HBase 1.1.5.

Thanks,
Nick

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.5 (RC0) is available

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Ran unit test suite
Exercised basic shell commands
Ran LoadTestTool on a small cluster

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> [1]:
>>
>> I now realize the issue with using gpg printed md5: the md5 files end up in
>> a different format for dist.apache than the md5 files pushed into
>> repository.apache.
>> the latter match md5sum / md5 -r output.
>>
>> It's not a big deal, just some added noise in the scripting I use to
>> go through checking
>> all of the checksum files.
>>

> Shall we have a follow-on to HBASE-15738 for using md5sum / md5 -r? Might
> as well make it simpler for folks consuming our stuff, and the gnupg format
> output is in the mds file for those who prefer that.

Maybe. So we'd essentially say something like "this is how you verify
using only gpg for signatures and for a couple of example hash algos"
and then a different "this is how you verify using md5sum"?

I dunno if it's worth having two verification instructions for
downloads just so verification of RCs is slightly simpler, since
hopefully the former is much more common than the latter.

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.5 (RC0) is available

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
+1

* checked signatures / sums[1]
* spot checked file header compliance using apache-rat plugin on clean
source unpack
* build from source[2]
* source matches commit 239b80456118175b340b2e562a5568b5c744252e
(which the signed tag mentioned pointed to when I checked)[3]

[1]:

I now realize the issue with using gpg printed md5: the md5 files end up in
a different format for dist.apache than the md5 files pushed into
repository.apache.
the latter match md5sum / md5 -r output.

It's not a big deal, just some added noise in the scripting I use to
go through checking
all of the checksum files.

[2]:

I couldn't get a clean mvn verify run, but all the complaints looked
like I'm just
on an underpowered laptop (messages are about minicluster misfiring / timeout)

[3]:

the module hbase-native-client is found in git but isn't included in
the source artifact.
AFAIK, this is as it has always been and will be until we add a new one.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

- Checked sums and signatures. Signing key needs updating from your
favorite hkp server (I used keys.gnupg.net) and then won't show as expired.
- Unpacked tarballs, layouts look good. Spot checked LICENSE and NOTICE
files.
- Built from source with release auditing enabled, passed (7u79)
- Unit test passes (7u79)
- Loaded 1M keys with LTT (10 readers, 10 writers, 10 updaters (20%)), no
unexpected messages in the log, latencies in the ballpark, all keys
verified.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.5 (RC0) is available

Posted by Dima Spivak <ds...@cloudera.com>.
+1

- Deployed onto a 5-node container cluster from binary tarball. Did some
sanity checks of the HBase shell and web UI, all looks good.
- Ran IntegrationTestBigLinkedList in loop mode with 1 billion nodes;
passed without a problem.

-Dima

Posted by Matteo Bertozzi <mb...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Too true; I thought that commit went rather quickly... Uploading them now.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Nick: