Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by German Blanco <ge...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/16 13:32:23 UTC

timeout per transaction?

Hello,

According to the System Administrator's Guide:
syncTime -> Amount of time, in ticks (see
tickTime<http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperAdmin.html#id_tickTime>),
to allow followers to sync with ZooKeeper. If followers fall too far behind
a leader, they will be dropped.

In order to check what is the time or number of transactions that a
follower may fall behind, I did some tests. I couldn't find a way to make a
transaction timeout in the Leader. It seems that the Leader adds
transactions to the list of outstanding proposals and they stay there until
a commit arrives or otherwise forever.

As long as Followers respond to the sync request, the quorum keeps running.

Is this really the behaviour? What is then the way in which it is
guaranteed that followers do not "fall too far behind a leader"?

Thanks in advance for your help.