Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by Franz de Copenhague <fr...@outlook.com> on 2015/03/16 13:58:11 UTC

[dfwebserver] Python binding

I have added the APIs dfconvert.put dfconvert.create to the python binding. In this URL you can download the patch  http://bit.ly/1x80xUr

franz

Re: [dfwebserver] Python binding

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
> On 17 Mar 2015, at 6:52 pm, Franz de Copenhague <fr...@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Jan, is there any C consumer for the JS functions that you point out above?
>
> Peter,
>
> Jan mentions this link https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Corinthia/API+reference but I am seeing a lot of functions required by the front-end aka Editor Library. Would you split up in 2 list for front-end and back-end? Also, will be very helpful to know what is the corresponding C API for each back-end functionality.

Unfortunately the way in which these functions can be called depends on the web browser engine/webview API in use. For example the way that it is done in iOS/OSX using Apple’s suppled UIWebView/WebView classes is different to how it will be done for Qt bindings. Calling these functions from a C program (or C++ or Objective C) depends on the API exposed by the web browser engine, which can differ between applications.

DocFormats is logically separate from the editing code, in that it can be used in and of itself - in particular, it is useful to have on the server side for various conversion processes a website might need, and also for supporting conversion to be used by web-based apps built on the library (which I’ve got an early proof of concept of in the repo, but without the server component). In the latter case, the editing would be on the client’s browser.

Regarding the API of DocFormats, as Jan mentioned, this really hasn’t been decided on properly yet, aside from the three main conversion functions. The one other set of APIs, which could arguably considered public (UX Write uses them, and the Qt app will need to as well) are those for representing CSS stylesheets. So as a next step towards python bindings, I would suggest looking at the CSSSheet, CSSStyle, and CSSProperties classes.

The next thing after that is the DOM API. I’m undecided as to how that would be best exposed in Python. We could write bindings as-is, although Python already has the xml.dom module [1] which, if my understanding is correct, permits multiple implementations. So it may be worth creating bindings to conform to that, so that people can re-use existing DOM-manipulating python code based on the xml.dom APIs in conjunction with DocFormats.

[1] https://docs.python.org/3/library/xml.dom.html

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

Re: [dfwebserver] Python binding

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 17 March 2015 at 12:52, Franz de Copenhague <
franzdecopenhague@outlook.com> wrote:

> > Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 12:15:34 +0100
> > Subject: Re: [dfwebserver] Python binding
> > From: jani@apache.org
> > To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org

> >> I think that using a similar name to the C API which is been binding to
> >> python makes sense and it is how other bindings are done. So, a
> developer
> >> whom knows DocFormat C API would understand the python API at first
> place.

> >> The bindind is following the consumers C API pattern with 2 main.c files
> >> for dfconvert and dfutil that generates 2 executables dfconvert and
> dfutil.
> >> For me, makes sense your suggestion if you have plans to refactory the
> >> DocFormat C API and have only one main.c with dfconvert and dfutil
> features
> >> all together.
> >>

> > Please be aware dfconvert and dfutil are consumers the USE docFormat.lib
> > they do not represent the docformats API.
> >
> > if you look inside dfconvert/dfutil they call functions inside docFormats
> > (the library) that is part of the API.
> >
> > I think peter gave you a list of all the JS functions we have that calls
> > back info the library (it is some 40+ calls)
> >
> > So seen from a release perspective our aim is to have
> >
> > docFormats library with a C-api
> > dfconvert executable as a consumer of docFormats
> > dftest executable as a consumer of docFormats
> > dfWebServer executable as a consumer with python bindings fo docFormats
> >
> > So you can dfconvert, dftest and dfWebserver is parallel (dfutil is more
> or
> > less on its way out).
> >
> > I hope that explains why I suggested a name change.
> >
> > rgds
> > jan I.
> >

> Jan, is there any C consumer for the JS functions that you point out above?

No not currently the consumer "corinthia" (desktop editor) will use them
all.

> Peter,
>
> Jan mentions this link
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Corinthia/API+reference but I
> am seeing a lot of functions required by the front-end aka Editor Library.
> Would you split up in 2 list for front-end and back-end? Also, will be very
> helpful to know what is the corresponding C API for each back-end
> functionality.

We need them all, the frontend calls the backend which call the C API.

Sadly enough docformat library does not yet have a formal C Api, but we
call functions deep within.

I am working on the desktop editor (right now stuck in some 64bit issues),
and as I work through it, I will have the functions calling the
corresponding docformats functions.

I did not expect you to implement all these bindings, since they do not
exist, but merely used it to explain why I feel you use wrong names for
your current bindings.

Let us first get that up and running you have, and hope that I in the
meantime can provide a consumer that shows all the needed calls.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by Franz de Copenhague <fr...@outlook.com>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Franz de Copenhague <fr...@outlook.com>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 16 March 2015 at 13:58, Franz de Copenhague <

Posted by Franz de Copenhague <fr...@outlook.com>.
> From: dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
> Subject: RE: [dfwebserver] Python binding
> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 08:45:36 -0700
>
> Or create an issue (a Task or a Feature) and attach the patch to it? That is a common way to submit patches. It provides an easier-to-access history of the patch development.
>
> - Dennis

Sounds good. I will do next time.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
Thans Franz, that’s excellent.

And Dennis: I was probably a bit strong in my comments… sorry about that. I just want to make sure we’re valuing people at least as much as process.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

Posted by Franz de Copenhague <fr...@outlook.com>.

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Franz de Copenhague <fr...@outlook.com>.
> From: dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
> Subject: RE: [dfwebserver] Python binding
> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 09:26:25 -0700
>
> I notice that we are adding material that doesn't have the standard Apache Project license header.
>
> I'm thinking we need to make a habit of putting the notice on new files.
>
> Do we need an issue about repairing the contributions that don't have those?
>
> - Dennis

I will fix it in the next patch or submission.

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
> On 17 Mar 2015, at 10:33 pm, Franz de Copenhague <fr...@outlook.com> wrote:

>> From: pmkelly@apache.org
>> nodeJS bindings sound great BTW! Perhaps we can implement a server-side component in both Python as well as nodeJS - this way, it makes the library useful to a wider range of people who might consider using it for various purposes in their web apps or for other back-end processing tasks.
>>

> I see that you point out what was my intention creating dfwebserve: a server-side component

Ah yes - I realise that (poor choice of wording in my ail); I was just referencing the benefits of doing it in multiple languages :)

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

RE: [dfwebserver] Python binding

Posted by Franz de Copenhague <fr...@outlook.com>.

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
> On 17 Mar 2015, at 12:27 am, Franz de Copenhague <fr...@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> The submitted code is just experimental code. And you are right, it doesn't honor the Apache headers.
>
> Also it only builds in Linux and a little refactory is required to do.
>
> I would like to submit python and nodeJS bindings in the future to try different approaches of web servers able to run DocFormats API.

nodeJS bindings sound great BTW! Perhaps we can implement a server-side component in both Python as well as nodeJS - this way, it makes the library useful to a wider range of people who might consider using it for various purposes in their web apps or for other back-end processing tasks.

I’m a big fan of both languages. I’ve been doing a lot of Python work lately in another job (using Flask as the web server) and have come to like it, but node is also nicely done (with the exception of callback hell, which can be avoided through promises and the like - nice to see the teaching of SICP [1] finally making it into the mainstream after 20 years ;)

[1] http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

Re: [dfwebserver] Python binding

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 16 March 2015 at 18:27, Franz de Copenhague <
franzdecopenhague@outlook.com> wrote:

> The submitted code is just experimental code. And you are right, it
> doesn't honor the Apache headers.

I will post another mail in a minute trying to show the differences, and
what you should do, and what you should not do.

> Also it only builds in Linux and a little refactory is required to do.

yes that is what we agreed to.

> I would like to submit python and nodeJS bindings in the future to try
> different approaches of web servers able to run DocFormats API.

I see the bindings as something we will add to the product, once we have
some stability.

> Regarding to the ICLA, I already have signed it. Whom I can send it?

secretary@apache.org as a pdf.

2 questions:
1) Did you remember to write corinthia as project
2) Did you choose a apache id (that does not conflict, see
http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html )

Thanks for volunteering to submit the ICLA that will avoid some other
discussions.

rgds
jan i

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 16 March 2015 at 17:26, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>
wrote:

> I notice that we are adding material that doesn't have the standard Apache
> Project license header.

to be honest I did not check the latest pything binding files, I assumed
peter controlled that when committing.

> I'm thinking we need to make a habit of putting the notice on new files.

For sure and I think we normally do. But we do not put our license to
standard code.

Please be aware that the whole webap is right now experimentel, and we need
to decide what we want (can) use of third party software, and once we have
that separate it from the rest.

I am (partly together with peter), the one that said lets go ahead with the
experiment, and integreate it a bit later. I am convinced the code we have
under web right now will not be released.

> Do we need an issue about repairing the contributions that don't have
> those?

If you refer to anything else than the new web directory, which are
experimental, then yes.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.