Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org> on 2017/12/19 15:03:09 UTC

[DISCUSS] Stellar in a Zeppelin Notebook

(1) I love the REPL, but I hate how inaccessible it is.

(2) I love our use cases
<https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/use-cases/geographic_login_outliers>
and
examples
<https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-analytics/metron-profiler#creating-profiles>,
but I hate how difficult it is for a new user to run them.

(3) I love the extensibility of Metron, but I hate looking at JSON.

(4) I love the Profiler, but I hate not being able to *see* my profiles as
plots.

Let me introduce, Stellar running in a Zeppelin Notebook.

(1) Access the REPL from any web browser.

(2) Create executable use cases that can be easily shared between users.

(3) Use the simpler management functions to interact with Metron (less
JSON).

(4) Extract your profiles and create a time series plot.

[image: Inline image 1]
The screenshot above is a very lightweight MVP showing that we can run
Stellar from Zeppelin.  I have a lot more work ahead in refactoring the
existing Stellar Shell/REPL functionality so that we get the same
experience in Zeppelin as we get on the command line.

Re: [DISCUSS] Stellar in a Zeppelin Notebook

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.
FYI - The PR for Stellar in a Notebook is open, if anyone is interested.

https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/884

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
That looks great!

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.

Posted by Laurens Vets <la...@daemon.be>.
On 2017-12-19 07:03, Nick Allen wrote:

> (1) I love the REPL, but I hate how inaccessible it is.
>
> (2) I love our use cases [1] and examples [2], but I hate how difficult it is for a new user to run them.
>
> (3) I love the extensibility of Metron, but I hate looking at JSON.
>
> (4) I love the Profiler, but I hate not being able to *see* my profiles as plots.

> Let me introduce, Stellar running in a Zeppelin Notebook.
>
>> (1) Access the REPL from any web browser.
>>
>> (2) Create executable use cases that can be easily shared between users.
>>
>> (3) Use the simpler management functions to interact with Metron (less JSON).
>>
>> (4) Extract your profiles and create a time series plot.
>
> The screenshot above is a very lightweight MVP showing that we can run Stellar from Zeppelin.  I have a lot more work ahead in refactoring the existing Stellar Shell/REPL functionality so that we get the same experience in Zeppelin as we get on the command line.

I love your screenshot :D

On a more serious note, I wanted to add the examples and use cases to
the installation documentation somehow (maybe as an addendum?) in the
future.

Links:
------
[1]