Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Dennis Raddle <de...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/11 04:07:00 UTC

educational software development

I know very little about Flex, ActionScript, Flash, or AIR. I'm taking some
educational software I developed in Python/Qt on Windows, and I want to
rewrite it with Adobe's stuff so it can run on iOS and Android.

I'm trying to get a feel for which tools will be useful to me. Right now
I'm working with the book "Flex 4.5 Fundamentals: Training From the
Source." I notice that the examples in the book are geared toward RIA's,
while my software will not have any Internet features to speak of. It's
more like a very simple game (some 2D animation, drawings, fonts) on a
desktop. At this point I'm not sure if Flex is even useful to me, or if I
will end up writing this purely in ActionScript. I don't know if Flash
Builder will be useful to me for that.

So, given that my app uses fonts, some simple graphics and 2D animation,
and given that I want it to run on iOS and Android, which of the Adobe
tools do you think I'll end up using?

Dennis

Re: educational software development

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.
Marmalade (http://www.madewithmarmalade.com/sdk) might be worth a look
if you're C++ savvy. I havent used it but sounds like it has potential
(for graphical projects at least)

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Re: educational software development

Posted by Dennis Raddle <de...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the details, everyone. I'm still looking into all these
suggestions.
Dennis

Posted by Carlos Velasco <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Matheson <sm...@intralinks.com>.
Hi

________________________________

Posted by Thiago Maia <a0...@a00s.com>.

Posted by Gary Young <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by haseeb ahmed <la...@gmail.com>.

--
regards,
lala

Re: educational software development

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.
If you're developing on Windows, FlashDevelop gives you a pretty good
no-cost option, and lets you code for Flash (pure as3), Flex, or Haxe
(which is really quite good and lets you directly target swf or as3 source
code, or, via OpenFL gives you swf/air/js/c++ targets from the same flash
api based Haxe code - including android and iOS ).
FlasCC gives you ways to re-use c++ code as highly optimized swf bytecode
whereas Haxe/OpenFL gives you ways to create native c++ apps using the
same/similar flash api in Haxe code.

Flex on the other hand is an awesome, fully loaded RIA "construction kit".

I use FlashBuilder mostly for Flex, but I know many (like Gary) who swear
by IntelliJ. Flex is great for certain things, but it has been criticised
in the past for being bloated and slow. And it can be. But as with most
things there are usually ways to optimize when it's possible or distract
the user when it's not. I think the main concern in the recent past was
mobile performance (and size) with Flex. These concerns are easing with the
rapid advances in the mobile space.

I use FlashDevelop primarily for Haxe, but it is also very good for pure
as3 (not so great for mxml, although it's been a long time since I tried
that, so it may now be better than it was).

Flash professional is a tool that is mainly focused on the design
elements/assets, including timeline based animations etc. But you can code
with it too, a lot of as3 developers started out with this. But most people
I know prefer to code in a dedicated editor, and based on what you
described I expect you would too, the coding support in Flash is still
quite basic.

Nothing conclusive there, just more options to consider. But if you want to
try a no-cost approach, consider giving FlashDevelop a whirl... and then
choose something more if you need it. Whether you should use Flex or not
depends on how much your app could leverage the Flex component set - not
easy to advise based on your description. If you decide not to use Flex,
then FlashDevelop might be all you need.

Greg Dove
Dove Software Development Ltd
http://greg-dove.com

Posted by Dennis Raddle <de...@gmail.com>.