Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Mayank Shrivastava <ma...@apache.org> on 2021/04/28 22:59:38 UTC

Trademarks check on website

Hello,
Our website for Apache Pinot project <https://pinot.apache.org/> is not
passing the Trademarks check. As per the instructions we tried several
variations of the trademark texts from projects that have this test passing
(including the one state in the ASF website), however, we are unable to get
this test to be green.

Current text: "Copyright © 2021 Apache Pinot, Pinot, Apache, the Apache
feather logo, and the Apache Pinot project logo are registered trademarks
of The Apache Software Foundation."

Check status: https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/pinot

Could we please request some suggestions on fixing this check?

Thanks,
Mayank

Re: Trademarks check on website

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Mayank Shrivastava wrote on 4/28/21 6:59 PM:
...snip...
> Current text: "Copyright © 2021 Apache Pinot, Pinot, Apache, the Apache
> feather logo, and the Apache Pinot project logo are registered trademarks
> of The Apache Software Foundation."
>
> Check status: https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/pinot

Thanks for the help elsethread, sounds like your checks are all set!

For future reference the website checker is a set of simplistic regexes
that get applied independently to homepages:

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/lib/whimsy/sitestandards.rb#L96

and

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/tools/site-scan.rb

And for those interested in registered vs. common law trademarks -
registered marks should all be listed here:

https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/list/

--
- Shane
  VP, Apache Whimsy

Posted by Mayank Shrivastava <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Roy, that fixed it.

Cheers,
Mayank

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 00:35, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 28, 2021, at 3:59 PM, Mayank Shrivastava <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > Our website for Apache Pinot project <https://pinot.apache.org/> is not
> > passing the Trademarks check. As per the instructions we tried several
> > variations of the trademark texts from projects that have this test passing
> > (including the one state in the ASF website), however, we are unable to get
> > this test to be green.
> >
> > Current text: "Copyright © 2021 Apache Pinot, Pinot, Apache, the Apache
> > feather logo, and the Apache Pinot project logo are registered trademarks
> > of The Apache Software Foundation."
> >
> > Check status: https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/pinot
> >
> > Could we please request some suggestions on fixing this check?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mayank
>
> Hi Mayank,
>
> That isn't a valid copyright notice because its form has to match the law.
>
>    Copyright © 2021 The Apache Software Foundation
>
> or just
>
>    © 2021 The Apache Software Foundation
>
> assuming that "The Apache Software Foundation" is the legal entity
> that owns the copyright. Nothing else can be included in that line.
>
> https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/401 <https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/401>
>
> In many cases, we don't own the copyright and should not include a notice.
>
> The information about trademarks is not relevant to copyright. You should
> put that somewhere else, if desired, such as the bottom of the page.
> The trademarks check is probably being run after the copyright line has
> been excluded.

Also there is a difference between trademarks and registered trademarks.
Not all ASF marks are registered.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.