Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2007/04/05 02:56:29 UTC

Re: plugin releases (was: [vote] Release openejb-2.3-incubating)

Seems like a reasonable workaround, though it'll be hard to retain
that location over time?

Just to throw out other options:
- check these in to your own scm (maybe under /vendor) and change the
groupId, then release them as 2.3-geronimo-1.2 or similar. Then you
have both the source and binaries you rely on.
- kick the developers of those plugins (I see no reason we couldn't
work on releasing the 2 maven ones over there, and Jason should be
able to release xmlbeans?). I understand this introduces lag for you
though.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Apr 4, 2007, at 5:56 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
> Seems like a reasonable workaround, though it'll be hard to retain
> that location over time?

I was thinking of just including this repo.tar.bz2 in the dist dir
next to the srcs, so it gets preserved for all time.

> Just to throw out other options:
> - check these in to your own scm (maybe under /vendor) and change
> the groupId, then release them as 2.3-geronimo-1.2 or similar. Then
> you have both the source and binaries you rely on.

Yup, this is one option too, which I do like have that repo.tar.bz2,
though adding big files like that will hinder tools like svk2 :-(

> - kick the developers of those plugins (I see no reason we couldn't
> work on releasing the 2 maven ones over there, and Jason should be
> able to release xmlbeans?). I understand this introduces lag for
> you though.

Problem is that no one really knows if the current xmlbeans-maven-
plugin works or will cause problems, and I don't know what rev this
snap is from so I can't branch and release the code that we use now.

I think we switched to this pinned snapshot a while ago due to
problems with newer snapshots, but then it worked and no one looked
into it anymore.  And the pinned snapshot is hard to find cause it
doesn't appear to be a snap, but it is.

I'm happy with the repo.tar.bz2 for now though.... and really I think
we may need to keep a hold of the dependency artifacts for release
builds to ensure that future builds of the released sources will
work... cause no matter what anyone says... eventually something on a
public repo will be lost causing builds to break.

--jason