Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> on 2015/04/09 21:50:32 UTC

Discussions on vote threads

Have become very common for us. Probably because the release VOTE is the
thing that actually gets people motivated to take a good look.

Thought it'd be good for us to discuss this practice.

My thoughts:
- I think it still makes sense to DISCUSS before starting a release
- I think it's perfectly reasonable to go through several RCs as things
come up during testing (RCs are easy)
- I think it helps to have the blog post ready before a vote (I made this
change to the platforms release process this time around)
- I don't have any problem with VOTE threads that are full of discussion.
What's the concern?

Re: Discussions on vote threads

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
I don't view discussion as a vote blocker, and I am against anything that
delays shipping. I also think adding time based on comments is treating the
symptom ( uninformed + under-engaged ) when the problem was really perhaps
that the discuss conversation didn't go far enough.
We should definitely try to do it in the discuss thread, but a comment or a
question in vote does NOT mean a -1 in my opinion.

I think one practice we could add would be to include text in the vote
thread that points to the discuss thread, and invites people to re-read and
comment there.

@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Posted by Frederico Galvão <fr...@pontoget.com.br>.
As a developer (cordova customer) who follows pretty much everything
related to cordova development closely, I always look for a blog post or
some form of changelog in the [VOTE]/[DISCUSS] thread, but rarely do I find
one. That'll be a nice inclusion in the process for me, to say the least.

--

*Frederico Galvão*

Diretor de Tecnologia

PontoGet Inovação Web

( +55(62) 8131-5720

* www.pontoget.com.br <http://www.pontoget.com/>

RE: Discussions on vote threads

Posted by "Parashuram N (MS OPEN TECH)" <pa...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
The vote itself should only be a formality really -- all issues should
have been hashed out in the Discuss thread. I think it's just a matter
of people getting used to this.

Vote threads full of discussion defeats the purpose of it. 1 or 2
off-topic items are okay now, but it can get de-railed into a 20 item
thread easily. When you are there to vote, you're there to vote.