Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Yitzchak Schaffer <yi...@vitals.com> on 2017/06/06 15:03:49 UTC

Facets delayed several seconds after commit

We've observed that, following a commit, it may take several seconds before
the indexed documents are reflected in facets on subsequent queries. I have
been able to reproduce this using enum and fc as facet.method

Is this related to the filterCache perhaps? My next step is to test with
filterCache disabled.

Thank you!

Yitz Schaffer
Vitals

Re: Facets delayed several seconds after commit

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Most like this is autowarming. New searchers are not available until
the autowarming period is complete. The sequence is:
> commit
> new searcher is opened and autowarming starts on it.
> new requests are served by the old searcher
> autowarming completes
> new requests are served by the new searcher. It's only at this point that any new data from the last commit is visible.
> old searcher finishes last request outstanding on it and is closed.

The Solr logs will give you some insight into how long searchers take
to become active. Also check your autowarm settings, people often make
these far too high.

So my guess is that this is perfectly normal behavior, I suspect you
have some kind of automated test system that queries immediately after
issuing a commit perhaps? You can specify options like waitForSearcher
(IIRC) to NOT return from the commit until the new searcher is active
to avoid this if it's really necessary.

Best,
Erick