Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu> on 2002/11/21 15:58:29 UTC

[OT] XML Persistence

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a way to persistently store XML data if the goal is to mine data out in a relational matter (I can only use IO storage).  Data from other files are referenced via ID/IDREF.  Transformation time to create data that is joined is about 180ms, even for small transformation when accessing multiple related documents.

I've read many articles, but again, I'm looking for ideas on if it's better to have strong or fine granularity in xml storage.  The end goal would be to cache the transformations, but at the same time, be able to check against the files it uses in transformation to see if they've changed in order to flush the cache.

Again, any ideas or thoughts would be awesome.

Best Regards,
Jacob

Re: [OT] XML Persistence

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
That doesn't seem to be a Xalan question; you'd be better off asking in a
general XML users' mailing list.

Some database products now have XML support, and there are tools
specifically marketed as "XML databases". It sounds like what you want is
a "make"-like layer running on top of that to notice when source/style
documents have been updated and regenerate the products, either
immediately or when they're called for.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research