Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Patrick Mulligan <pm...@hotmail.com> on 2007/11/07 16:39:10 UTC

JMS compatibility

Hi,

I understand that SMX uses an embedded AMQ instance.  A few questions:

1) Can the AMQ be swapped out for anohter jms impl?

2) REalizing that the jms is internal and effectively transparent except for clustering, can jms endpoints/producers/consumers interact with other jms provider impls?

Thanks

Re: JMS compatibility

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Patrick Mulligan schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I understand that SMX uses an embedded AMQ instance.  A few questions:
>
> 1) Can the AMQ be swapped out for anohter jms impl?
>

> 2) REalizing that the jms is internal and effectively transparent except for clustering, can jms endpoints/producers/consumers interact with other jms provider impls?
>
> Thanks
> Peek-a-boo FREE Tricks & Treats for You!
> http://www.reallivemoms.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us

I have done a JmsFlow Implementation for Tibco EMS. Other jms providers
are possible.
My patch included some preparation to make it easier to write new
JmsFlow implementations.
The patch is included in the current code.

https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/SM-745

Do you have any special implementation jms provider in mind?

Best regards

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
---

Re: JMS compatibility

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 11/7/07, Patrick Mulligan <pm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I understand that SMX uses an embedded AMQ instance.  A few questions:
>
> 1) Can the AMQ be swapped out for anohter jms impl?

ServiceMix depends upon ActiveMQ-specific features for it's
functionality. Because of this, another JMS provider cannot be used
internally, but ActiveMQ can easily create a JMS-to-JMS bridge to
other JMS providers:

http://activemq.apache.org/jms-to-jms-bridge.html

Also, the servicemix-jms component can bridge to other JMS providers
based on the connection factory. Here is an example of bridging to IBM
WebsphereMQ:

http://servicemix.apache.org/how-do-i-integrate-the-servicemix-jms-component-with-webspheremq.html

> 2) REalizing that the jms is internal and effectively transparent except for clustering, can jms endpoints/producers/consumers interact with other jms provider impls?

Yes, see above.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/
Castor - http://castor.org/

Re: JMS compatibility

Posted by PatrickMulligan <pm...@hotmail.com>.
Posting answers inline below from jbritton:

PatrickMulligan wrote:

> 1) Can the AMQ be swapped out for anohter jms impl?
>
> Theoretically you should be able to but the dependency is pretty tight.
> This may be challenging based on everything AMQ has to offer.
>

> 2) REalizing that the jms is internal and effectively transparent except
> for clustering, can jms endpoints/producers/consumers interact with other
> jms provider impls?
>
> Yes.  In a jms-bc you simply need to reference the other jms provider
> connection factory in the x-bean xml and put the connection factory jars
> in the classpath.

-----
-- Patrick  ("Wishin I was fishing")