Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> on 2009/08/06 21:01:40 UTC

SMTPServer fastfail rewrite

Hi all,
after some very busy months I'm looking forward to spend some time
coding on JAMES. More specific on the fastfail stuff ( and some parts
of the SMTPServer ). I'm thinkin of something related to provide some
different Interfaces which allows the easy writting of costum fastfail
stuff. Something like this:

interface PostHeloListener {
    Response onHelo(....);
}

interface PostMailListener {
   Response onMail(....);
}

interface PostRcptListener {
   Response onRcpt(....);
}

This handlers will then get called after the "raw" input was parsed (
to detect syntax problems etc) and allow to reject,accept,deciline
etc.
This stuff will prolly break backwards-compatibility, but I think I
(we ?) don't care to much about such stuff anymore. I think I will
start the work in a branch, because I prolly break many stuff during
work.

Any thoughts ?

Bye,
Norman

Ps: After that Is done I would like todo something similar for POP3
(and IMAP, Robert you are here ?)

Re: SMTPServer fastfail rewrite

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Norman Maurer<no...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> after some very busy months I'm looking forward to spend some time
> coding on JAMES.

:-)

> More specific on the fastfail stuff ( and some parts
> of the SMTPServer ). I'm thinkin of something related to provide some
> different Interfaces which allows the easy writting of costum fastfail
> stuff. Something like this:
>
> interface PostHeloListener {
>    Response onHelo(....);
> }
>
> interface PostMailListener {
>   Response onMail(....);
> }
>
> interface PostRcptListener {
>   Response onRcpt(....);
> }

> This handlers will then get called after the "raw" input was parsed (
> to detect syntax problems etc) and allow to reject,accept,deciline
> etc.
> This stuff will prolly break backwards-compatibility, but I think I
> (we ?) don't care to much about such stuff anymore.

i'm not concerned about breaking compatibility on trunk

> I think I will
> start the work in a branch, because I prolly break many stuff during
> work.
>
> Any thoughts ?

i need to find some time to take a better look...

> Bye,
> Norman
>
> Ps: After that Is done I would like todo something similar for POP3

cool

> (and IMAP, Robert you are here ?)

IMAP's a little odd: i'm not sure how fail fast would work but a
discussion would be useful from a design perspective

- robert