Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2008/01/16 13:56:36 UTC

[VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 1.1-incubating (RC2)

Please review and vote on the 1.1 release artifacts of Tuscany SCA for Java.

The SVN tag for the release is:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sca/1.1-RC2/

The artifacts are available for review at:
http://people.apache.org/~slaws/tuscany/1.1-RC2/

This includes the signed binary and source distributions, the RAT report,
and the Maven staging repository.

Can I ask you to choose a selection of platforms in order to test the webapp
samples. In the RELEASE_NOTES we reference

        - Tomcat 6.0.14
        - Geronimo 2.0.2 Tomcat6 jee5
        - WebSphere 6.1 fix pack 11

If you do find issues with the release candidate that you think need
to be fixed and lead to a -1 please review and fix them in the 1.1 branch
and/or raise jira's targeting the 1.1 release.

Vote early, vote often!

Thanks,

Simon

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 1.1-incubating (RC2)

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Simon Laws wrote:
> Please review and vote on the 1.1 release artifacts of Tuscany SCA for Java.
>
> The SVN tag for the release is:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sca/1.1-RC2/
>
> The artifacts are available for review at:
> http://people.apache.org/~slaws/tuscany/1.1-RC2/
>
> This includes the signed binary and source distributions, the RAT report,
> and the Maven staging repository.
>
> Can I ask you to choose a selection of platforms in order to test the webapp
> samples. In the RELEASE_NOTES we reference
>
>         - Tomcat 6.0.14
>         - Geronimo 2.0.2 Tomcat6 jee5
>         - WebSphere 6.1 fix pack 11
>
> If you do find issues with the release candidate that you think need
> to be fixed and lead to a -1 please review and fix them in the 1.1 branch
> and/or raise jira's targeting the 1.1 release.
>
> Vote early, vote often!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

-1 as I'm seeing the build issue reported in TUSCANY-1998 [1]. I added
the error info to the JIRA.

All samples are OK for me except the Chat and DOJO Web apps, which I've
not tested as the JIRAs for their issues are still open.

Also, I am testing on WebSphere 6.1 fix pack 09 (instead of 11).

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1998
--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 1.1-incubating (RC2)

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

I get a couple of failures when running the feed-aggregator sample:

get exception when reading the URL
http://localhost:8083/rssAggregator

the web page containing the exception is in the file
rssAggregator-exception.htm

get another exception when reading the URL:
http://localhost:8083/rssAggregator?feedType=atom_1.0

the web page containing the exception is in the file
rssAggregator-exception2.htm

This may be a problem with the feed data itself, but it would be best
not to have the sample fail.

Yours,  Mike.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Jan 17, 2008 2:41 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Binary distribution looks ok, I have tested all the webapps on the
> following host environments :
>      - Tomcat 5.5.x, Tomcat 6.0.x, Jetty 6.1.x, WAS 6.1 FixPack 9
>
> I had issues trying to compile the source distribution from a clean
> maven repo, and I could only get a clean build after removing all
> references to saxon 9.x dependencies (TUSCANY-1998). I also noticed
> TUSCANY-1984.
>
> I'll commit a fix for these issues on the R1.1 branch.
>
> -1 to release RC2 given these issues.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1998
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1984
>
> On Jan 16, 2008 4:56 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Please review and vote on the 1.1 release artifacts of Tuscany SCA for
> Java.
> >
> > The SVN tag for the release is:
> >
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sca/1.1-RC2/
> >
> > The artifacts are available for review at:
> > http://people.apache.org/~slaws/tuscany/1.1-RC2/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eslaws/tuscany/1.1-RC2/>
> >
> > This includes the signed binary and source distributions, the RAT
> report,
> > and the Maven staging repository.
> >
> > Can I ask you to choose a selection of platforms in order to test the
> webapp
> > samples. In the RELEASE_NOTES we reference
> >
> >         - Tomcat 6.0.14
> >         - Geronimo 2.0.2 Tomcat6 jee5
> >         - WebSphere 6.1 fix pack 11
> >
> > If you do find issues with the release candidate that you think need
> > to be fixed and lead to a -1 please review and fix them in the 1.1branch
> > and/or raise jira's targeting the 1.1 release.
> >
> > Vote early, vote often!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Simon
> >

> --
> Luciano Resende
> Apache Tuscany Committer
> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

> Hi Luciano

Thanks for trying the release candidate. I haven't been seeing the build
issue but if it's failing for you then I imagine it will fail for others.
I'll try your patch to make sure the build works for me with it.

Can others have a go with release candidate 2. If we respin lets try and get
all the last niggles sorted otherwise we won't get this done in January. I'd
like to have some confidence that a few eyes have looked at it, run the
samples, checked for any legal issues, checked the signatures, tested the
maven artifacts etc.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 1.1-incubating (RC2)

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Jan 18, 2008 12:38 AM, Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com> wrote:

> Simon Laws wrote:
>
> > On Jan 17, 2008 4:20 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>+1
> >>
> >>I've reviewed the RC and think its looks ok to release. All the legal
> >>stuff
> >>looks ok, most of the samples i've tried run ok. There's a few problems
> >>already discovered and with JIRAs and there are a couple of unwanted
> work
> >>folders included - samples/callback-ws-client includes work directory,
> >>samples/helloworld-ws-reference-jms and helloworld-ws-service-jms
> include
> >>activemq-data. I'll go fix that in the brn and trunk. The src distro and
> >>various samples built ok for me, i've not tried with an empty local
> >>repository though so  i'll leave others to comment on that,
> >>
> >>  ...ant

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sca/1.1-RC2/

> <http://people.apache.org/%7Eslaws/tuscany/1.1-RC2/>
> >>
> >><http://people.apache.org/%7Eslaws/tuscany/1.1-RC2/>

> >>report,

> 1.1branch

> > Thanks everyone
> >
> > I've put in a workaround for the build failure that works for me (see
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1998).
> > I've removed the work and activemq-data dirs in the branch that Ant
> pointed
> > out
> > I've made a slight notice file change
> > Venkat has fixed the implementation-policy integrity sample apparently
> > Luciano has removed the extra saxon processing that is not required and
> > fixed the wsdl2java build
> >
> > So I think it's worth another spin. I'm not going to press the button
> until
> > first thing in the morning though so if you find other license, build or
> > sample issues before then please raise them
> >
> > Simon
> >
> I have been investigating TUSCANY-1965.  This is marked as critical but
> was not targeted for SCA-Java-1.1.  I understand what is causing the
> problem and I have two versions of the fix:
>  1) A very small change to CallbackReferenceImpl that does some extra
>     wire cloning and resolves the problem, at the cost of greater
>     runtime overhead.
>  2) A more extensive fix to CallbackReferenceImpl, RuntimeWireImpl and
>     JDKCallbackInvocationHandler that combines the extra wire cloning
>     from fix 1) with a new cache that reuses cloned wires in many
>     common cases.  The combined effect should be to fix the problem
>     with minimal or no increase in runtime overhead.
>
> Both these fixes do not cause any problems with a top-level build.
>
> I have checked fix 1) into the 1.1 branch under revision r613023.
> It is a smaller change than fix 2) and therefore lower risk.
>
> I have checked fix 2) into trunk under revision r613024.
>
>   Simon

> Ok thanks everyone. I've now made a new RC so consider this VOTE thread
terminated.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.