Posted to user@struts.apache.org by rob <ro...@softhome.net> on 2002/09/11 11:27:00 UTC

No action instance for path / could not be created.

This seems to be a fairly common problem and I have gone through
the archives prior to posting this but have yet to discover a
solution.

I'm getting that common error Error 500 No action instance for path
/login could be created.  The difficulty I'm having is that the
application was and is running perfectly fine on a tomcat 4.x
servlet container.  The error I'm observing are occuring under a
tomcat 3.x servlet container.

I'm kind of desperate here, solutions would be good.

Thanks

Rob

struts-config.xml
<!-- Struts Login Form Bean -->
<form-bean      name="LoginForm"        type="web.LoginForm"/>

<!-- Struts Login Global Forward -->
<forward name="login"   path="/do/login"/>

<!-- Struts Login Action Mapping -->
<!-- leading slash on path is present -->
<action path="/login"
	type="web.LoginAction"
	name="LoginForm"
	input="/WEB-INF/pages/login.jsp"
	scope="request">

<forward name="error"   path="/WEB-INF/pages/login.jsp"/>

</action>

web.xml
<!-- struts action servlet mapping -->
<servlet-mapping>
	<servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
	<url-pattern>/do/*</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

login.jsp
<!-- start form tag -->
<!-- does not require prepended /do/ because I use -->
<!-- path servlet mapping -->

WEB-INF/classes (shown to contain LoginAction.class)
% ls -l webapps/manager/WEB-INF/classes/web/
total 6
-rw-r--r--  1 rtr  users  1565 Sep 11 18:58 LoginAction.class
-rw-r--r--  1 rtr  users   735 Sep 11 18:58 LoginForm.class

LoginAction.java
/* shown to indicate class is public */
/* shown to indicate class extends Action */
% grep 'public class' LoginAction.java
public class LoginAction extends Action

Re: No action instance for path / could not be created. (solved)

Posted by rob <ro...@softhome.net>.
The reason it was biting me was because the struts.jar was in the
CLASSPATH of the user who was starting the servlet container.

Better explanation here.  So not obvious.

http://w6.metronet.com/~wjm/tomcat/2001/Feb/msg00096.html