Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by "Carlucci, Tony" <ac...@mitre.org> on 2012/03/30 17:40:55 UTC

[DISCUSS] wro4j for static file optimizations

Hello Rave Devs,

In my research for RAVE-518[1] (JavaScript improvements) I came across a tool called wro4j[2] which allows for either build-time or run-time compression and minification of static resources like javascript, css, etc.  When I set out originally to work on this task I had envisioned doing all of the optimization at build-time, but I wanted to open it up to the community to see if:

a)      Someone has used wro4j in the past and can comment on pros/cons?

b)      Would we want to do resource optimization at build-time (via maven) or run-time?

Thanks, Tony

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAVE-518
[2] http://code.google.com/p/wro4j/

RE: [DISCUSS] wro4j for static file optimizations

Posted by "Carlucci, Tony" <ac...@mitre.org>.

wro4j has a whole caching strategy (which can be customized) for the run-time option.  I've been looking over the feature list and it is pretty robust.  Performs tasks like gzip compression and supports CSS Meta Frameworks like LessCss.

Tony

Posted by Sean Cooper <se...@gmail.com>.