Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dimitar Stavrakov <DS...@infinet-inc.com> on 2001/12/12 17:53:04 UTC

RE: Similar Question as -> Different web apps and struts

The Session is part of the request object. If your action is redirecting a
page from one web-app to another, it is probably also redirecting the
request object, therefore the session as well.

Posted by Pete Carapetyan <pe...@datafundamentals.com>.
> Subject: Similar Question as -> Different web apps and struts
>
> I was wondering something similar...   I am putting together (trying) a
> large app to run a bunch of things like:
> - Customer contact database
> - Project tracking
> - Problem tracking que
> - Billing information
>
> Users can jump between these sections...
>
> All these will share and support each other.  Should they be all in the
> same web-app directory, or can the be split so that parts can be added
> on?

There is a running sample of each of these elements you mention on the
webAppWriter.com site. They are all in the same Expresso (Struts) context, they
all share the same security group and registration domain, they all seem to work
fine that way. Yet I have had no problem adding new pieces whenever I wanted.
Check em out if you wish, or download the code for any of them.

Despite this, there is no reason why different pieces couldn't be in multiple
security groups and/or registration domains. You can either share sessions, or
not, depending on how you want to structure it. At least that has been my
experience so far.

The only problems I had were making sure I set up the frames properly to maintain
sessions without ~jumping out~ when I didn't wish them to.

So the answer to your question would be that Struts should handle it however you
wish it to. No?

Re: Similar Question as -> Different web apps and struts

Posted by Will Jaynes <wj...@mediaone.net>.
No. Not true. By the servlet spec, webapps are completely separate. Sessions are
not shared.