Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jacek Machura <ja...@att.com> on 2005/01/20 23:00:08 UTC

1.1.3 install problem

Hi,

I used tar ball for Solaris 8 (subversion-1.1.3.tar.gz) and it fails to
install with the following error:

ld.so.1: /opt/sfw/bin/makeinfo: fatal: libz.so.1: open failed: No such
file or directory
*** Signal 9
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
`doc/programmer/design/svn-design.info'

Then I tried to run:
       sh ./autogen.sh

and it complains about not having  version 2.50  (why tar ball doesn't
have it ?!)

So, now my question is where do I get  version 2.50 from, since it's
nowhere described yet?

Thanks,
--Jacek

Re: 1.1.3 install problem

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Jacek Machura wrote:
> OK, I found  autoconf-2.59 but still having problems:
>
> buildcheck: checking installation...
> buildcheck: autoconf version 2.59 (ok)
> buildcheck: autoheader version 2.59 (ok)
> buildcheck: libtool version 1.4.3 (ok)
> buildcheck: neon version 0.24.7 (ok)
> buildcheck: local copy of find_apr.m4 does not match APR's copy.
>            An updated copy of find_apr.m4 may need to be checked in.
> buildcheck: local copy of PrintPath does not match APR's copy.
>            An updated copy of PrintPath may need to be checked in.
> buildcheck: local copy of find_apu.m4 does not match APRUTIL's copy.
>            An updated copy of find_apu.m4 may need to be checked in.
> libtoolize not found in path
>
> Any thoughts?

Yes, you should stop what you are doing, and troubleshoot the original
problem.

For some reason you ran into a problem, and then decided to take a long and
windy path through unfamiliar territory which will eventually lead you
straight back to exactly the same problem!!!!!

What you *should* do, is figure out why your makeinfo is broken, and either
fix it, or remove it.
Then, build from a tarball.

Re: 1.1.3 install problem

Posted by Jacek Machura <ja...@att.com>.

Re: 1.1.3 install problem

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 06:00:08PM -0500, Jacek Machura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used tar ball for Solaris 8 (subversion-1.1.3.tar.gz) and it fails to
> install with the following error:
>
> ld.so.1: /opt/sfw/bin/makeinfo: fatal: libz.so.1: open failed: No such
> file or directory
> *** Signal 9
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
> `doc/programmer/design/svn-design.info'

Your system is missing the libz.so.1 library (possibly not in the proper
path) that your /opt/sfw/bin/makeinfo command wants.  This has nothing
to do with Subversion and is a problem with your environment.

> Then I tried to run:
>       sh ./autogen.sh
>
> and it complains about not having  version 2.50  (why tar ball doesn't
> have it ?!)
>
> So, now my question is where do I get  version 2.50 from, since it's
> nowhere described yet?

Umm because we don't ship autoconf.  We just ship a pre-generated
configure.  With very few exceptions you shouldn't be running autogen.sh
on a tarball.  If you want to run it you need to install the proper
version of autoconf to convert our configure.in to configure.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken