Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2004/08/09 19:01:00 UTC

[Proposal] Publication Templating using Fallback

Hi Lenya developers,

I would like to introduce the concept of publication templating using
fallback.

Here's a draft of the proposal:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/ProposalPublicationTemplating

As a proof of concept, I implemented the default publication as a
template and another "showcase" publication which is based on this
template.

The template publication "default-template" is equal to the default
publication, but all requests to content and XSLT files are fallback-
enabled. This makes it possible to omit all sitemap and XSLT files
in the showcase publication. To test the fallback, I placed a single
page2xhtml.xsl file in showcase/xslt.

The concept does not introduce any backwards-compatibilites. But it
requires some changes to the core sitemaps and a *lot* of testing
before it can be committed (I think this won't make sense before
1.4).

If someone would like to give it a try, please contact me.

-- Andreas

Re: [Proposal] Publication Templating using Fallback

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 19:01, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya developers,
>
> I would like to introduce the concept of publication templating using
> fallback.
>
> Here's a draft of the proposal:
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/ProposalPublicationTemplating

I like the approach.

> As a proof of concept, I implemented the default publication as a
> template and another "showcase" publication which is based on this
> template.
>
> The template publication "default-template" is equal to the default
> publication, but all requests to content and XSLT files are fallback-
> enabled. This makes it possible to omit all sitemap and XSLT files
> in the showcase publication. To test the fallback, I placed a single
> page2xhtml.xsl file in showcase/xslt.
>
> The concept does not introduce any backwards-compatibilites. But it
> requires some changes to the core sitemaps and a *lot* of testing
> before it can be committed (I think this won't make sense before
> 1.4).

Ok.

> If someone would like to give it a try, please contact me.

I will come back to it...

--
Rolf Kulemann