Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by sekaijin <jy...@yahoo.fr> on 2013/12/31 11:38:05 UTC

Custom Distribution and child instances

Hello,

I am facing a small problem.
I created for my company a custom distribution , which contains specific
config files ( conforming to the rules of the company) as well as own
business features and bundles.

My problem is that having done so , it is no longer possible to use the
karaf commands to create child instances.
Indeed, when creating a child instance, it is not a copy of the parent but a
simple karaf.
configs files are not consistent with the rules of the company, the config
files added by the custom distribution are not supported and additional
features and bundles are not present .

the mechanism of "admin:create" is simple: read the template in the resource
bundle org.apache.karaf.admin.core and make a copy by substituting
variables.
I wondered if it would be interesting to have a "templates" folder in the
karaf distribution that contains these models. and change "admin:create" to
use these models.
When we made ​​a custom distribution, we can provide models differents of
there base distribution that support the customized features.

A + JYT

Re: Custom Distribution and child instances

Posted by sekaijin <jy...@yahoo.fr>.
Happy New Year.

I see that I am far behind the evolutions in karaf.
I will read all this more closely.
Thank you.

Re: Custom Distribution and child instances

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi

Child instances (named simply instances now) still exists: use
instance:* commands instead of admin:*.

Take a look in the update notes, you have the commands changes.

Regards
JB

On 12/31/2013 11:38 AM, sekaijin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am facing a small problem.
> I created for my company a custom distribution , which contains specific
> config files ( conforming to the rules of the company) as well as own
> business features and bundles.
>
> My problem is that having done so , it is no longer possible to use the
> karaf commands to create child instances.
> Indeed, when creating a child instance, it is not a copy of the parent but a
> simple karaf.
> configs files are not consistent with the rules of the company, the config
> files added by the custom distribution are not supported and additional
> features and bundles are not present .
>
> the mechanism of "admin:create" is simple: read the template in the resource
> bundle org.apache.karaf.admin.core and make a copy by substituting
> variables.
> I wondered if it would be interesting to have a "templates" folder in the
> karaf distribution that contains these models. and change "admin:create" to
> use these models.
> When we made ​​a custom distribution, we can provide models differents of
> there base distribution that support the customized features.
>
> A + JYT

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Custom Distribution and child instances

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
By the way,

instance:create creates a new Karaf "from scratch".
instance:clone can "clone" a existing Karaf instance (including the root
one).

Regards
JB

On 12/31/2013 11:38 AM, sekaijin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am facing a small problem.
> I created for my company a custom distribution , which contains specific
> config files ( conforming to the rules of the company) as well as own
> business features and bundles.
>
> My problem is that having done so , it is no longer possible to use the
> karaf commands to create child instances.
> Indeed, when creating a child instance, it is not a copy of the parent but a
> simple karaf.
> configs files are not consistent with the rules of the company, the config
> files added by the custom distribution are not supported and additional
> features and bundles are not present .
>
> the mechanism of "admin:create" is simple: read the template in the resource
> bundle org.apache.karaf.admin.core and make a copy by substituting
> variables.
> I wondered if it would be interesting to have a "templates" folder in the
> karaf distribution that contains these models. and change "admin:create" to
> use these models.
> When we made ​​a custom distribution, we can provide models differents of
> there base distribution that support the customized features.
>
> A + JYT

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Custom Distribution and child instances

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
As a reminder:

the update notes:
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/update-notes.html

the instance chapter in the users guide:
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/users-guide/instances.html

Regards
JB

On 12/31/2013 11:38 AM, sekaijin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am facing a small problem.
> I created for my company a custom distribution , which contains specific
> config files ( conforming to the rules of the company) as well as own
> business features and bundles.
>
> My problem is that having done so , it is no longer possible to use the
> karaf commands to create child instances.
> Indeed, when creating a child instance, it is not a copy of the parent but a
> simple karaf.
> configs files are not consistent with the rules of the company, the config
> files added by the custom distribution are not supported and additional
> features and bundles are not present .
>
> the mechanism of "admin:create" is simple: read the template in the resource
> bundle org.apache.karaf.admin.core and make a copy by substituting
> variables.
> I wondered if it would be interesting to have a "templates" folder in the
> karaf distribution that contains these models. and change "admin:create" to
> use these models.
> When we made ​​a custom distribution, we can provide models differents of
> there base distribution that support the customized features.
>
> A + JYT

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net