Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/12 23:59:58 UTC

Modernizing plugin dependencies

What's current best practice for updating the versions of the test harness
and other bits and bobs?

Re: Modernizing plugin dependencies

Posted by Maarten Mulders <ma...@mulders.it>.
There has been a (short) discussion on this topic recently in this list
[1].
Although it contained no formal vote, my provisional conclusion would be
to create a JIRA ticket and then provide a merge request.

Thanks,

Maarten

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r3b921993565a04ea0c20e6439da171d37cae2e3a477496321f7bde6c%40%3Cdev.maven.apache.org%3E

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Would it make sense to branch from 2.1 and do a controlled update? What
version of maven core are we willing to require?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
maven-plugin-testing-harness 2.1 should work for most cases, and many
of our plugins are not that far up to date yet.

But yes, we do have a major issue with failing to update deep
dependencies like plexus, aether, sisu, maven core, and the testing
harness across all the repos.

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 10:52 AM Sylwester Lachiewicz
<sl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Right I saw this problems, maven testing plugin next version 3.3.0 (
> released 2014) requires Maven core 3.2.5 - so it will not be useful for
> long time ..
>
> Sylwester
>
> śr., 13 maj 2020, 14:52 użytkownik Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>
> napisał:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 13.05.20 01:59, Benson Margulies wrote:
> > > What's current best practice for updating the versions of the test
> > harness
> > > and other bits and bobs?
> > >

> > the problem with Test harness is that it brings more recent versions of
> > maven-core with it which is from my point of view a no go for test
> > harness more recent versions ...That's the reason why it is currently
> > kept at version 2.1...
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Karl Heinz Marbaise

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Modernizing plugin dependencies

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
It's a very good thing to do. That said, updating the test harness is
usually a lot more difficult than it looks. It tends to pull in
incompatible versions of Plexus, Sisu, and Aether requiring a lot of
code changes throughout the plugin.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org